Law School Discussion

DC Forum - anyone else attending?

DC Forum - anyone else attending?
« on: June 17, 2008, 07:33:01 AM »
I'll be there!  Anyone else going?  I was hoping to compare notes with some others afterwards...

Re: DC Forum - anyone else attending?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 12:45:14 PM »
DC forum?

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 01:30:25 PM »
DC LSAC forum...It's a meeting with several law school recruiters and potential law students. 

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 01:38:50 PM »
i'll be there.  hope it will be at least somewhat productive. 

what are you going to wear?  i was thinking sport coat and khakis.  i can't tell if this is one of those REAL business casual events or if it says business casual and then everyone wears suits anyway.

are you bringing resumes?  business cards?

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 01:49:27 PM »
I was going to wear a suit and tie...do you think that's ill-advised?  I would probably go with the sport coat and khakis, but I don't actually own a sport coat. To look a bit less dressy, I may trade my black suit for a white one.  Or I could try to be really confused and wear the black coat with the white pants. ;)  No business cards - I debated it, but I think it'd make me come off more as an arrogant jerk than as a serious applicant.  I may write up and bring copies of my resume, just to be on the safe side, although I doubt that they'll come in useful.  Still, it's good to be prepared. 

What are you bringing?  Any advice you'd give me for the meeting?  What law schools are you looking at? 

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 01:59:01 PM »
i don't know how much i'll actually get out of this since I just took the LSAT yesterday - no one's going to give me a fee waiver or early application invite or something just based on my GPA and a smile.  i'm coming from out of state so i'm planning on getting there at 10, maybe going to the Forum 101, going to Financing a Legal Education and the Application Process, and then I've picked about 10 schools I want to definitely make a contact with (generally Southeast T1s) and maybe 20 more that I will stop by to get literature from.  Hope to be out of there and on my way home by 2:30 or 3.

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 02:13:26 PM »
Yeah, that could be tough...On the other hand, though, I doubt that they really do that much checking before giving out fee waivers.  Having more people apply to the law school helps their US rankings.

I'm going to be specifically looking for (in no particular order):
W&L
Tulane
Temple
George Mason
Rutgers (Both)
UT
WVU
Mercer
Stetson
Case Western Reserve
U of Louisville
Vanderbilt
WUSTL

Realistically, I'm hoping to cut that list down to 10 schools after this Saturday and down to 7 a few weeks after that, although I'm also sending apps to any eastern law school that gives me a fee waiver (So far, Temple, Akron and Louisville...W&L and Case have free online apps).  Really, though, I think it'd be tough to go wrong with most of those schools...Should be an interesting Saturday!  Since I'm living in DC this summer as an intern, I plan on spending the whole day at the forum...I'm definitely attending Forum 101 and the Financing your Legal Education seminar.  I'll probably be doing the Application Process one and maybe the "What lawyers do" lecture as well, although I feel rather confident about both topics.  It'll depend on how fast the visits are going.  I also plan on taking advantage of their on-site pre-law advisors - that seems like it could be a useful service.  Can't hurt, at any rate. 

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 02:19:13 PM »
I got emails today from Michigan State and Marquette offering fee waivers to anyone that talks to them and "mentions the email", so if those are eastern enough for you you may want to hit there as well.

ak362

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 02:25:00 PM »
Second the attire question -- is it "business casual" (aka khakis and a shirt) or business casual with shirt and slacks.

Also, did anyone get invited to the Diversity event? I'm not a URM, but still received an invite. Wondering if I should go?

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 06:22:35 PM »
I think Marquette and Michigan could be doable - I'll take any fee waivers I can get, lol.  As for the dress code thing, my NORMAL response would be "Oh, let me go ask on LSD - I'm sure that someone on there has been to one of these."

Blast it all.