Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Question to law students  (Read 3267 times)

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
Re: Question to law students
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 09:04:41 AM »
One thing that I thought was helpful was just to Google law school test-taking strategies and read up about what everyone thinks. That and being very aware of the rigors of the first year. Nothing I actually read prior to starting helped -- I just found my own "way" to do things, despite trying to listen to every piece of advice I could.

titcr.  I had tons of advice from upperclassmen, but at some point it just becomes noise.  You just have to find what works for you.  I have a friend who read all sorts of law prep books, had tons of supplements, did tons of practice tests, etc and she did pretty badly first semester.  I didn't read anything before school, didn't study half as much as she did, only had a few supplements and was happy with my performance.  I found what worked for me and went with it.  I did even better second semester, building on what I'd learned about law school and myself.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

1Lchica

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 09:25:56 AM »
I think we had similar situations our first year, pikey.

I feel like also that I was just so terrified my first semester that my full potential wasn't there. There's a line you have to find that's between being overconfident and being scared to death.

Have confidence in yourself and your abilities, but don't act like you're smarter than everyone else.

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 09:39:04 AM »
Hi Chica!  How was your first year?  What are you up to this summer?

During first semester, I wasn't terrified, I wasn't overconfident, I was just kinda lazy.  I didn't do what I didn't need to do, but I also didn't do as much of what I should have done.  Second semester I was all about working smart, not hard.  I complete cut out the stuff that didn't provide much benefit for me (briefing, outlining, etc) and focused on using the correct supplements, focusing on my reading more than class discussion, and early exam preparation.

It really is all about what works for you.  That's the easy and difficult thing about law school, because there's no "one size fits all" approach.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 11:10:20 AM »
"Nothing you can do is going to help much."

So my doom is unavoidable? I should just welcome it with open arms?

Yep. It's the end of your world as you know it. But you should feel fine :D
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

1Lchica

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 11:17:12 AM »

So my doom is unavoidable? I should just welcome it with open arms?

Yep. It's the end of your world as you know it. But you should feel fine :D

LOL

no634

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • No 634
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008, 04:15:16 PM »
I read "Getting to Maybe", One L by Scott Turow, and Barron's How To Suceed in Law School.

One L is more of a horror story about law school. It was a good read in that "my year won't be as bad as THAT" kind of way.

worldlyjd

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2008, 02:23:40 AM »
I wouldn't bother "studying" before school starts.
Honestly, each prof wants you to learn their version of the subject matter, and will test you on want they want you to know.
If you read a study guide (e.g. Examples and Explanations), you might end up learning stuff you're not going to be tested on and not learning the sometimes random stuff the prof really wants you to know.

Just enjoy your summer, it might be your last real time off.
If you want you can read some of the what to expect your 1L year type books. But in the end I don't think those will help you in the classroom, maybe just give you a less stressful transition.

oh noez

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2008, 09:18:35 PM »
tag

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2008, 11:06:58 PM »

So my doom is unavoidable? I should just welcome it with open arms? :)

I've posted on a million or so of these threads but you have it right. It's like being being pushed into the deep end of a swimming pool if you've never swam before. You'll kick, move your arms, and eventually figure out how to keep your head out of the water. By the time you have a semester or two under your belt, you'll be swimming laps.

You're better off drinking beers, reading for leisure, or doing whatever else you enjoy doing before starting law school. My big suggestion is that if you have to do anything, help yourself out by making a list of errands and getting them done before the grind starts (oil change, car inspection, doctors/dentist appointments, setting up your calendar, and the like). Not sure if you're into exercising or not, but if you aren't now's a great time to get into a routine. Aside from the physical benefit, the mental benefit is huge...helps keep you sane and energizes you to knock out a few more hours of work once you're done with your daily routine.

Before starting law school, I began reading one of those "guide to law school books" and got about 20 pages in and stopped reading cause it freaked me out. Now after looking back on the whole process, I think the author was over-dramatizing the "horrors" of law school a bit. I'm not sure what your personality is like, but if you're a bit high strung, I probably wouldn't read any of them. After finishing the whole process, I'd kinda like to read them now to see if their depictions are accurate.

chydiva82

• Did God take permission from U when he created ME?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2008, 12:03:27 AM »

So my doom is unavoidable? I should just welcome it with open arms? :)

I've posted on a million or so of these threads but you have it right. It's like being being pushed into the deep end of a swimming pool if you've never swam before. You'll kick, move your arms, and eventually figure out how to keep your head out of the water. By the time you have a semester or two under your belt, you'll be swimming laps.

You're better off drinking beers, reading for leisure, or doing whatever else you enjoy doing before starting law school. My big suggestion is that if you have to do anything, help yourself out by making a list of errands and getting them done before the grind starts (oil change, car inspection, doctors/dentist appointments, setting up your calendar, and the like). Not sure if you're into exercising or not, but if you aren't now's a great time to get into a routine. Aside from the physical benefit, the mental benefit is huge...helps keep you sane and energizes you to knock out a few more hours of work once you're done with your daily routine.
Before starting law school, I began reading one of those "guide to law school books" and got about 20 pages in and stopped reading cause it freaked me out. Now after looking back on the whole process, I think the author was over-dramatizing the "horrors" of law school a bit. I'm not sure what your personality is like, but if you're a bit high strung, I probably wouldn't read any of them. After finishing the whole process, I'd kinda like to read them now to see if their depictions are accurate.

Completely agree with the bolded. Most especially, the part about starting an exercise routine if you do not already have one. I worked out 3 to 4 times a week. So towards the evening hours when folks were drowning themselves in coffee, red bull and green tea and popping Awake pills, I was energized from a good workout and could go for hours.