Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Question to law students  (Read 3258 times)

mason123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Question to law students
« on: June 17, 2008, 01:50:31 AM »
Hey there folks:

I'm going off to law school in August, and I would like to hear any suggestions you may have as to the academic preparation one must/should undertake to have a more comfortable/successful transition into law school. As you all have already realized, the rigors and demands of law school is quite high and I would really like to ease myself into that sort of environment.

I was curious as to whether it is possible to familiarize oneself with certain topics that would undoubtedly be analyzed during the first year, or even the first semester. Maybe there are specific books I can read; cases, statutes, legislation I can glance over?

Thoughts? Comments?

Thank you!

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
Re: Question to law students
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 02:03:51 AM »
Enjoy your last taste of freedom man.

If you insist on prepping (which isn't an entirely awful idea) I would recommend the following reads:

Getting To Maybe
Writing a Legal Memo - by Bronstein.
Glannon Guide to Civil Procedure (just to familiarize yourself, not to study hardcore).

Also, any of the Law School Survival Guide type things could be useful.  Good luck!

mason123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 02:25:57 AM »
Thanks Steve.

I'm currently reading,
The Insider's Guide to Your First Year of Law School: A Student to Student Handbook from a Law School Survivor

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 07:21:29 AM »
Read what you're reading already, and perhaps add on Guerrilla Tactics for Getting the Legal Job of your Dreams on there (by Kimm Walton) for a jump on how to go about the job search and networking (and when it comes to networking, its never too early to begin).

And other than doing LEEWS if you're interested in that sort of thing, don't do anything.

I suggest reading whatever kind of books you're interested in outside school while sitting by the pool or on the beach, because once school starts, you likely won't have any time to do any pleasure reading (and if you do have time, you may very well not want to pick up a book).

mason123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 12:41:46 PM »
Glannon Guide to Civil Procedure (just to familiarize yourself, not to study hardcore).

This seems like an interesting book because I hear civil procedure can be quite difficult to grasp. Is there any sense in buying this book and starting some low level studies within this particular subject... with this book?

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 12:25:16 AM »
If you must, I would buy a few hornbooks (examples and explanations were my favorite)

My advice is to just enjoy your summer. Nothing you can do is going to help much.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 07:05:53 AM »
Just to correct some terminology...

E&Es aren't hornbooks.

tobias

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jaray02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 07:48:51 AM »
If you like to read for pleasure, then do a lot of it. I found after starting law school, at the end of the week I could barely pick up the newspaper let alone a real book. It will keep your mind in intellectual mode (well, depending on what you're reading), which can't hurt, and you won't be stressing out about law school during what is likely your last "real" summer break.

mason123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 08:02:16 AM »
"Nothing you can do is going to help much."

So my doom is unavoidable? I should just welcome it with open arms? :)

1Lchica

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 08:58:54 AM »
One thing that I thought was helpful was just to Google law school test-taking strategies and read up about what everyone thinks. That and being very aware of the rigors of the first year. Nothing I actually read prior to starting helped -- I just found my own "way" to do things, despite trying to listen to every piece of advice I could.