Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Question about cancelling score  (Read 1432 times)

Laxattack09

• View Profile
Question about cancelling score
« on: June 16, 2008, 10:13:07 PM »
If I cancel my score post test will law schools know that I cancelled it, or will it simply look like I never took it? I was right on the border of where I needed to be and missed two games when I usually get 0 wrong so I'm obviously going to cancel. Any help as to what happens when I cancel I'd appreciate it.

AJaKe

• Sr. Citizen
  • No, a law student!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Question about cancelling score
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 10:16:32 PM »
If I cancel my score post test will law schools know that I cancelled it, or will it simply look like I never took it? I was right on the border of where I needed to be and missed two games when I usually get 0 wrong so I'm obviously going to cancel. Any help as to what happens when I cancel I'd appreciate it.

You sat for it so it wil lshow you took the exam and then cancelled it, usually an asterisk.

LSN
- 3.1 / 162

Accepted: UF, FSU, Rutgers-Camden(10k + T-Shirt!), Penn State, Temple, American, UPitt, Villanova
W/L: GMU, W&L, W&M
Ding: NONE!

Laxattack09

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 10:45:17 PM »
What would be worse? A cancelled score asterisk next to your "real" score or a bad score next to your real score?

iceepop

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 11:03:25 PM »
Um...are you saying you missed 2 questions on the LG section, or 2 whole games?  If you missed 2 questions, who cares?  You may have gotten more right on other sections than you would on another test.

Laxattack09

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 11:10:27 PM »
2 whole games. I usually get 0-1 wrong on games but messing up this bad is going to kill my score. Would I better off to cancel and retake or wait until my score comes out and retake?

iceepop

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 11:12:10 PM »
If you did that much worse than usual, then cancel for sure.

One cancellation on your record shouldn't be a big deal--certainly not as big a deal as a really bad score.

Good luck.

Laura Roslin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 11:26:39 PM »
I cancelled in September.  My LSAC LSAT page shows that I earned a score of "Candidate Cancel".   :D  I expect that is what the law schools will see, as well.  And I have also heard that most schools don't care very much about one cancellation.  (But most schools take the higher score now.   Check the policies of your target schools.)

My advice: LSAC gives you get six days to make this decision.  Take them.  Sleep on it for at least two nights.  Make sure you will have no regrets one way or another.  Especially now that this test is over, I'm really happy I cancelled last time.  Even if the curve is brutal, I know I did my best on this test, unlike September.  But if you are a person who will always wonder how you did, you shouldn't cancel.
I have a PhD in horribleness!

LSN

Laxattack09

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 11:31:18 PM »
Do I have time to sleep on it a couple of nights? It says they need to receive my "cancel" within 6 days of the test and I can only mail it in. I feel like I have to rush this....

Laura Roslin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 11:41:27 PM »
Do I have time to sleep on it a couple of nights? It says they need to receive my "cancel" within 6 days of the test and I can only mail it in. I feel like I have to rush this....

See if you can find a fax machine.  If you're still in school, the Dean's office or your departmental office may have one you can use.  If you're working in an office, they may have one somewhere.  Otherwise, Kinko's (and other copy shops) will send it for a few dollars.

If faxing is absolutly not an option, I would spend the money to mail it overnight.    Certainly you don't have to (and can't) do anything until tomorrow.  If you send it overnight on Wednesday, you should have plenty of time.  But look into faxing first, it's much cheaper.  Good luck deciding!
I have a PhD in horribleness!

LSN

ashleybarrett9

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 11:46:26 PM »
You can definitely fax it, that is probably a good idea and even more reliable than mail.  I'm going through the same thing about contemplating a cancel. :/