Law School Discussion

To cancel or not!?

Re: To cancel or not!?
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 09:24:11 PM »
I think that a decision to cancel must depend on two things:

1) Is your score likely to reflect your aptitude on the LSAT?

2) Is your score likely to be accepted at your target schools?

If you feel as though you are in the low to mid 160s and you want to go to HYS, then cancel your score.

Having said that, if your preptest scores are in the mid to high 160s and you want to go to HYS, you may have to adjust your expectations.

My best preptest was 178, my last 10 preptests were in the 172-178 range, and I am not convinced that I am going to be competitive at HYS based on lawschoolnumbers.com figures.

Additionally, I would also consider the extent of your prep. I went through 53 preptests over the last 2 or 3 months. If i wanted to retake in October, I honestly don't think that there is much more that I could possibly do. Did you do everything that you could to prepare for this exam? If not, will you have the time and energy to put into fully preparing for the October exam?

Either way, sleep on it for a night or two. Most people feel as though they performed worse than they could have on exam day. Take some time to consider everything.

Good Luck!

-HYShopeful

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 09:47:19 PM »
Hi all, I'm wondering the same thing. So here's the deal- I'm aiming for Columbia, NYU, Georgetown caliber school and given my GPA, I feel like I have a shot with a 170+ and a stretch with a sub170 score.

I took the test today and felt rushed on the RC (had ~5 mins to do entire groupthink passage) and panicked on the Games section (ended up guessing maybe around 4 or 5 questions). I feel pretty confident about the rest of the exam (but who knows) and estimate that I may have scored in the 160-170 range. That seems like a broad range, but really I have no idea how I did on rushed/guessing parts. During practice tests, I've scored 170+ for the last 6 exams or so.

I know that law schools report the highest score but supposedly a lot of the schools I want to go to claim they still average as part of their admissions process. Though I don't think I did TERRIBLE, do you think I should still cancel if there's a chance I scored sub 165? Or do you think that since schools only report highest score, at the end of the day they only look at that number regardless of what they say about averaging?

Thanks for your input!!

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 09:50:33 PM »
Yeah, looking over those numbers again, you are probably right.  I would likely not be able to get into a top ten school with a 3.7 unless I had 175+ and that is unlikely.  I can probably get low 170s after more studying (I read two shorter books and only took 5 practice exams), but probably not mid to upper 170s.  And since I probably can't even get into those top schools, I should keep my score because all the other schools I apply to take higher scores, so if I take it again, that is what they will look at. 

I have heard about people doing really well their first year of law school at a pretty good law school and transferring to a better school, so that is my plan B!  I'm hoping Boston University then onto Harvard, though I'll probably have to almost kill myself my first year to get all A's. 

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 10:53:34 PM »
With a 3.7, a 169 should get you into at least one of Duke/Cornell/Gtown at the least, so this is what you should be aiming for.  To get into a Harvard/Stanford/Yale, assuming you don't have extraordinary soft factors, you probably need a 173 or 174.  In between there it gets dicey, but a 172 or 173 will give you a great shot at every school below Harvard, Yale, and Stanford.

Yale and Stanford have extreme latitude in admissions because of their small size and reputation, Harvard less so because of size.  If you seriously think a 173, 174 or higher is a possibility and Yale or Stanford is your dream school, cancel.  Otherwise, don't.  If you were practicing consistently in the mid-160s, I don't see any reason why a low 160 deserves a cancel.