Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transfer - William Mitchell/Hamline/St. Thomas?  (Read 1318 times)

wisconsin08

• View Profile
Transfer - William Mitchell/Hamline/St. Thomas?
« on: June 15, 2008, 06:32:26 PM »
I was accepted on transfer to William Mitchell, Hamline, & St. Thomas.  All of my research shows that both schools are pretty comparable.  Do any of you have an advice?  I have weighed the pros and cons of each, but I am still having trouble deciding. 

I guess it probably should just come down to personal preference, but any advice would be helpful.

El_Che

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • 0L Musings
Re: transfer - William Mitchell or Hamline?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 10:53:28 PM »
People in the Twin Cities who are in a position to hire graduates don't care about the U.S. News rankings. WM grads will always hire WM grads and Hamline grads will always hire Hamline grads. There are way more WM grads in positions to hire, so they have that advantage. Additionally, anyone else in the Twin Cities who is in a position to hire, will "generally" prefer WM grads to Hamline ones, based purely on name recognition and nothing else.

If money and everything else is equal, I would say go to WM.

El_Che

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • 0L Musings
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 06:08:39 PM »
No problem. I currently work at a big-ish firm in Minneapolis and have many friends at all 4 law schools in the Cities, so while my advice might not be 100% accurate, it's a pretty fair estimation I would think :)

bucky

• badgerbadgerbadger
    • AOL Instant Messenger - you+have+to+ask.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 11:51:59 PM »
I'm currently at WM and trying to transfer out of here.  I think if you want a job in the twin cities, then WM is probably a better choice.  However, many people are starting to get a little nervous about WM's long term potential to stay competitive.  I personally have issues with the school, but again, if what you are looking for is a job in the TC, then WM will be able to get you that.

We have recently learned that bucky rocks out pretty hard.