Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LinkedIn: Networking as a Law Student?  (Read 3275 times)

O.

• View Profile
    • Email
LinkedIn: Networking as a Law Student?
« on: June 15, 2008, 09:19:44 AM »
has anyone used this service?  i was thinking of trying to start networking through it, by adding people and then moving toward some sort of network.

Maddie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: LinkedIn: Networking as a Law Student?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 12:00:15 PM »
has anyone used this service?  i was thinking of trying to start networking through it, by adding people and then moving toward some sort of network.

I'm on LinkedIn and I know that people have been contacted by Headhunters through this site.

Team Awesome

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 12:12:36 PM »
It's a great resource. Even if you don't need it now, you might as well build a profile while you have time and start making connections.

Maddie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 12:35:38 PM »
Tag. How do I build a profile?

http://www.linkedin.com/

It's pretty straightforward.  Then you can search for coworkers/classmates, etc. and add them.  It's free unless you want to upgrade to business membership (which I see no point in doing unless you are a recruiter.)

Bulldog86

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 01:56:15 PM »
I signed up forever ago, and never did much on my profile. What did y'all put as your "industry"? I'm straight from undergrad with a lib arts degree... i.e., no industry at all yet.
UVA Law Class of 2011

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 02:51:19 PM »
I have been on Linked In for years, and have really liked it.  The only thing is that you must be an ACTIVE user to get a benefit.  I actively search the site for profiles of people I meet at law school and add them.  I also keep my info up to date.  I have 150 connections, but it wasn't easy.  Resources like this are only useful if you actually work at them.

SEC_2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 02:25:15 PM »
tag

Maddie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 09:25:58 AM »
I know sometimes recruiters search LinkedIn for profiles with features they are interested in (specific schools, prior positions, etc.)  So it can't hurt in that regard.

Team Awesome

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 10:33:49 AM »
I know sometimes recruiters search LinkedIn for profiles with features they are interested in (specific schools, prior positions, etc.)  So it can't hurt in that regard.

It's true. We Recruiters use it to source. It takes 5 minutes to fill out a profile and it'll look in your email contacts for people you know who are also on it. If you're on here, you've got 5 minutes to spare, why not?

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 04:09:49 PM »
Just wanted to bump this.  Those starting law school in fall should follow the advice that Matthies posted in another thread on networking, and utilize LinkedIn for its networking potential.