Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Getting to Maybe  (Read 2549 times)

bridget_jones

• View Profile
Getting to Maybe
« on: June 15, 2008, 07:54:15 AM »
For those you who who've read Getting to Maybe, do you feel it was worthwhile and/or beneficial?

limegreen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Getting to Maybe
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 10:15:14 AM »
tag, I'm planning on reading it this summer.

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 10:17:09 AM »
Yes - I think it is a helpful book.  I didn't read it until a few weeks before my SECOND semester exams, though ... but it was a lot of stuff I'd already figured out by then.  I would NOT recommend reading it before you start law school, though ... there are a lot of really specific examples that will mean NOTHING to you (about Contracts, torts, etc.) before you have learned some of them.  Save it for fall break!

dsetterl

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 12:36:02 PM »
I am reading this book right now, seems pretty helpful.

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 12:55:59 PM »
It depends.  On one hand, it probably helped me focus my reasoning.  On the other, I might have figured out the same stuff without it and spent my time reading the actual material on which I was tested.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

resipsaloquitur

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 01:17:50 PM »
I recommend it as well and I agree with Jhuen that it is best to wait until after school has begun to read it.  I also think fall break is a good place to read it.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 12:09:28 AM »
It is useful if you pay attention to the very specific warning in the book.
i.e. If your professor says something different, do what the PROFESSOR wants.

But I found the book helpful for the first round of exams.  I disagree about waiting till school starts.  I think that having an idea about what your end product should resemble will give you clues on what to look for during class.

I found that having an idea of what sort of stuff I would be writing on an exam helped me organize my notes and outlines in such a way as to make it easy to write exams.

I did fairly well my first year, not super-fantastic, but well enough for my purposes.

BoredAtWork2112

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 06:43:34 PM »
Totally worth reading at least twice.  Lots of very sensible advice.