Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Failed College Class: Doomed for LS?  (Read 1984 times)

bravo623

• View Profile
Failed College Class: Doomed for LS?
« on: June 15, 2008, 04:04:42 AM »
I failed a Calc class at a top 10 private university first semester freshman year. I just graduated a month ago and plan to work for 2-3 years before hopefully going to a top-14 LS. Though there were definitely legitimate reasons why I failed (extraordinary family problems and the class is one of the most failed at my school), it was mostly because I was a cocky, naive freshman who cared more about partying than math class i.e. not going to class or doing hw. I have a definite upward swing and especially busted my ass junior and senior year (3.7 senior year with deans list both semesters) to finish with a 3.09 overall gpa.

My question is does an F in calc freshmen year automatically disqualify me from top-14 even though I'll have great WE, awesome recs, an upward GPA swing, and URM status? I'd also appreciate an explanation instead of a simple yes or no answer. Thanks guys

woeisme

• Sr. Citizen
  • Untouchable
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Failed College Class: Doomed for LS?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 04:13:07 AM »
That one F from your first semester shouldn't bar you from a T14. Your overall GPA, though, might. It will really depend on your LSAT score. It's helpful that you're a URM, but to really be a "competitive" applicant for top schools, you should aim for a 170+ to combine with your work experience and 3.09 GPA.
Cornell Law School Class of 2011 ... ftw.

WashLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 05:35:11 PM »
I agree that you're overall GPA might hurt you a little but you certainl;y could write an adendum about it. Just explain that you were mal-adjusted your freshman year and have no excuses for the F. You've since learned your lesson (as evidenced by your senior GPA)and are ready for law school. Other than that, kick butt on the LSAT! That really is the most important thing.

Clayton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 02:22:33 AM »
3.09? LSAC GPA or UGPA? Either way that is more than just one bad grade.

You are not getting into a top 14.

William Wonka

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 02:44:35 AM »
3.09? LSAC GPA or UGPA? Either way that is more than just one bad grade.

You are not getting into a top 14.

Don't listen to this guy. Plenty of applicants with <3.0 GPAs get into T14 schools. Just make sure you do well on the LSAT.

Clayton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 02:52:02 AM »
Depending on how many clases the OP retook (if he retook any at all) will affect his LSAC GPA negatively. While yes it is possible, it is highly unlikely. He would have to do exceptionally well (175+) on the LSAT before I would give him a decent chance at a top 14.

Snowdrifter

• Planning to begin 1L in Fall 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 05:43:55 PM »
I am in a similar situation, although I got 6 F's my freshman year and have been trying to make them up with A's ever since.

Statistically, with that GPA, your T14 odds aren't good if you score <170 on the LSAT. Even if you score above there, it's by no means a guaranteed admission.

I haven't actually participated in an admissions cycle yet, but the general consensus on these boards is that applying early is better, when schools have more spots with which to 'take a chance' on a splitter. Like I said, I am applying in this upcoming cycle, so I'm not speaking from any personal experience with this (yet).

One of my best friends got into HLS with a 172 LSAT and 3.3 GPA, so I'd say it's worth the application fee just to try at a T14. *shrug*

The Artist

• Sr. Citizen
  • Admit it... you got Rick Rolled.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 07:29:46 PM »
Depending on how many clases the OP retook (if he retook any at all) will affect his LSAC GPA negatively. While yes it is possible, it is highly unlikely. He would have to do exceptionally well (175+) on the LSAT before I would give him a decent chance at a top 14.

No. He is an URM.