Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1L Study Aides  (Read 3836 times)

bridget_jones

• View Profile
1L Study Aides
« on: June 14, 2008, 05:52:14 PM »
To all of you that will be 2L and beyond, what are your recommendations as best study aides for the 1L courses?

Sell Out

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bienvenido al Terrordome.
    • View Profile
Re: 1L Study Aides
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 06:02:06 PM »
Different professors will warrant different study aides.  I know some people who used Chimerinski for Con (which is VERY in depth and longer than the textbook) and the prof liked the E&E way (short and concise), so I would just ask around the 2Ls that had the prof before you.  Also, find one that works for you and fits your learning style.  Some have flow charts and all sorts of crap in them and then some it is just the rule and nothing but the rule, so it's just a matter of personal preference.
Rocking in the free world.

UH 2010

TrumpWho??

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 06:03:22 PM »
I have the same question as above but specifically for Contracts. Ive heard that E&E has a lot of superfluous information. Is there anything better?

Bridget..the consensus from what I have gathered for first year courses is the Glannon's Example and Explanation's for Civ Pro and Torts are the the best and Chemerinsky for Con Law is the best. I already read the E&E for property and aside from the enormous amount of spelling errors in the book it was ok but not superb. Im reading Chemerinsky and Glannons Civ Pro now and they are much better.

the royal We

• Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 06:57:59 PM »
Civ Pro
For the theoretical underpinnings (probably Civ Pro 1 if your school divides it into 2 classes) Chemerinsky has a book called federal jurisdiction.  It does an excellent job of explaining the justiciability doctrines etc.  Use Glannon for personal jurisdiction and the rest of Civ Pro.

Torts
Torts is a pretty simple class and you shouldn't really need study aids, but E&E will be helpful for exam review.

Contracts
Read all of Williston on Contracts.  Just kidding its like 30 volumes.  Calamari & Perillo on Contracts is a one volume treatise thats very good.  E&E is a much more superficial treatment of Contracts but does a good job of simplifying what can be a very complex subject.  I found E&E to be helpful for quasi-contracts, and some of the UCC provisions; i don't think it has anything on accord and satisfaction though.  I would at least get Calamari & Perillo.

Property
I agree with the above poster in that the E&E was pretty whack.  Stoebuck & Whitman is a good national hornbook.  Sprankling has a much shorter, facial treatment of property.

resipsaloquitur

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 07:55:30 PM »
Civ Pro - It was E&E for me. Worked great. Glannon is the man.

Torts - Glannon is once again the man because I really liked the Torts E&E.  I also recommend Understanding Torts.

Criminal Law - Understanding Criminal Law is really good, but over that, I recommend the Sum & Substance CDs.  Dressler keeps it interesting and understandable.

Contracts - I never found a supplement I liked that much.  I used the E&E and it was okay, but not the greatest.

Property - Understanding Property pretty much got me through that class.

1Lchica

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 11:07:08 PM »
I used the E&E for Civ Pro but didn't do that great in the class.

For torts, I recommend Understanding Torts, in Lexis' series.

I didn't use anything for contracts or property.

For Crim Law, I used the Understanding Criminal Law.

Definitely Chemerinsky for Con Law.

Papa Bear

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do these shades make me look fat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 11:38:05 PM »
Let's see...

Civ Pro: E&E all the way.

Contracts: I had an Emmanuel outline that I used to help me with the handful of classes I missed, but otherwise didn't use any supplements.

Torts: I didn't use any supplements.

Con Law: Didn't use any supplements and did the best out of all my classes.

Crim Law: My grade was exclusively attributable to Dressler's hornbook. I regret not starting it sooner in the semester.

Property: I didn't use anything and probably should have.
"Facts have a well-known liberal bias."

bridget_jones

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 07:52:27 AM »
thanks for all the helpful comments  :)

jsb221

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 09:51:21 AM »
I agree with pretty much what everyone else already said, but I would add the Crunchtime series for final review. Its short, concise and easy enough to read through and review in a couple days.

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 10:17:57 AM »
Get the crunchtime for property - I should have gotten it and used it all semester instead of just the couple weeks before the exam - it lays everything out SO simply.