Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Living Arrangements??  (Read 10389 times)

Tanette09

• View Profile
    • Email
Living Arrangements??
« on: June 14, 2008, 03:39:26 PM »
Hola,

I plan on attending law school next fall and I'm VERY interested in going to Howard. However, my decision depends on a few things including housing and since I am out of state I'm not that familiar with area. I understand that the school does not offer university sponsored housing for law students so I was wondering if anyone has information on where law students, mainly 1Ls usually live.

Thanks in advance!

jlujan

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Living Arrangements??
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 12:00:49 AM »
I actually have the same question. Also, do student loan's help pay for your rent?

Any help is great!

Obama2

• Sr. Citizen
  • BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY, Detriot red cleaned up!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 02:18:56 AM »
I actually have the same question. Also, do student loan's help pay for your rent?

Any help is great!

I am 0L, so thats my disclaimer lol]

But I live in the DC metro area and have researched Howard recently since I am leaning on attending there. From what I gathered most of the students live around the Howard Law school not necessarly in one location..some live in silverspring,Maryland which is right down from Howard (its a few stops away on the metro train, which would be like 15 20 min ride on the train), those housing prob cost you anywhere from 700 to 1000. Some do live right next to the law school, but they seem to be pricey becaue the law school is located in the nicer area of D.C (looking at $1000-1400 a month for those apartment). I have spoken to the dean and he has also informed me some limited housing are available for howard law school students in the student apartments designated for Howard gradschool students(these housing are located on Georgie Ave as part of the Undergrad campus which is about 20 min away from the law school and there is shuttle or bus sytem I think, that runs about $1000 a month I think).The dean also suggested maybe getting a roomate which would be a lot cheaper but I dont know if you want to go through that again lol, I know I dont. But I guess you gota do what you gotta do!!..
This is what I gathered so far,

Hope this was helpful

Feeling like Detriot Red cleaned up!!

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 09:17:09 AM »
"but they seem to be pricey becaue the law school is located in the nicer area of D.C"

You are kidding right?  Howard is in the ghetto, and $1000-1400 rent is dirt cheap in DC.  I pay more than $2k for an apartment in the nice part of D.C. (which I assure you is not where Howard is).

jlujan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 11:44:22 AM »
Thanks Obama2. I currently live in Alexandria, so I am debating whether I can make that commute from where I currently live.

I am going on Wednesday to Howard and try and get a good idea of what financial aid and student loans cover. Since there is no housing at Howard, I would assume that rent and bills would be covered under student loans. Is this a bad assumption?

Thanks again everyone.

Obama2

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 12:32:12 PM »
Thanks Obama2. I currently live in Alexandria, so I am debating whether I can make that commute from where I currently live.

I am going on Wednesday to Howard and try and get a good idea of what financial aid and student loans cover. Since there is no housing at Howard, I would assume that rent and bills would be covered under student loans. Is this a bad assumption?

Thanks again everyone.

I live in alexandria as well (really springfield), I thought about commuting but it would take me about 1 1/2 dealing with the metro to get up there, so I am deciding against doing that atleast for my first year till I get the hang of law school.

My understanding is that the financial and loans cover the cost of tution and the cost of living..which I think a total of up 2 45,000k..so once they take out tutuion you have the rest to use for housing. The only problem is that you dont get all this up until august/september (I think), so if you are renting an apartment..you might have to come up with the housing deposit from your pocket first. I will be interested to find out if there were any alternatives to this!!

Obama2

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 12:36:45 PM »
"but they seem to be pricey becaue the law school is located in the nicer area of D.C"

You are kidding right?  Howard is in the ghetto, and $1000-1400 rent is dirt cheap in DC.  I pay more than $2k for an apartment in the nice part of D.C. (which I assure you is not where Howard is).

Are you kidding me? Maybe you speaking of Howard University the undergrad which is located on Georgia Ave, some can argue its in the ghetto area if you never lived in the inner city before. But as far as "Howard Law School", you must be crazy to call the area the ghetto. I dont know where you from buddy but that is not the ghetto. That is where all embassys are located and I been there several times myself and its up from Adams morgans area...I didnt say nicest but it is in the nicer areas of DC.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 01:13:37 PM »
Ok, maybe ghetto was a stretch, but the school isn't in a nice part of DC.  Anywhere that has rent for $1k in DC definitely isn't somewhere I'd trust living.

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 09:00:19 PM »
we heard you the first time.

jlujan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 10:53:40 PM »
Obama2,

Thanks for the great information. I really appreciate it. My fiance and I are living in Alexandria, and it does not seem that a move is in the works. Im going to do a trail run on Sunday. Ill catch the metro and the whole nine and see what how long the route is. I know it wont be exact, but it will let me know what is in store.

Also Im heading over to Howard on Wed and trying to get financial aid started. Wish me luck because I need a nice sum for rent and food.

As far as the area, I always felt that the Van Ness area was fairly nice. It has a nice mix and Im excited about the school's location. Does anyone know if there is a shuttle that picks you up from the metro or is the walk short enough?

Thanks again!