Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: From Part-Time to Full-Time at another school?  (Read 1018 times)

hydrotoise

• View Profile
From Part-Time to Full-Time at another school?
« on: June 14, 2008, 04:29:06 AM »
Has anyone out there transferred from a part-time program to a full-time program at another school? How do most schools treat the transfer app? Will they reject you outright without waiting for the summer grades just because you're a part-time, or will they keep your file open until your summer grades arrive? Any advice/insights appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: From Part-Time to Full-Time at another school?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 01:40:56 PM »
Every school has a different policy on this. Some people have done it. I would call the schools you're interested in and explain your specific situation to an Admissions DIRECTOR or DEAN of Admissions over the phone. Do not rely on info from secretaries or people who answer the phone, as they often don't give out reliable info.

galileo228

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 12:22:06 PM »
I was part time this past year at a T40, and I'm in at GULC full time. What particular questions do you have?

Jmart603

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 09:36:51 PM »
I was part time this past year at a T40, and I'm in at GULC full time. What particular questions do you have?

did u take summer classes at gtown to catch up?

galileo228

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 04:57:03 PM »

did u take summer classes at gtown to catch up?

I am taking summer classes. You don't HAVE to take summer classes to attend full time (not required), but you probably need to take some credits over at least one summer if you're switching to full time to graduate in the normal three years.

As you're part time at one school and are thinking of transferring full time to another school, I would call the admissions offices of those schools to which you're interested in applying, speak to an admissions officer, and ask whether it's possible to do that. Many schools require a minimum number of completed credits before they will consider you for transfer admission to their full time programs, and most part time programs, as far as I know, do not meet that number. 

With my summer classes, I will have 25 credits completed when I matriculate at GULC this fall, and I will have to complete four full time semesters of an average 15 credits each. A lot, but doable.

Hope this helps. Lemme know if you have any other questions.