Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Will a low income background prevent one from attending law school?  (Read 2017 times)

Stringtheory

• View Profile
Hi I am new to this forum and have been wondering if being from a very low income background can stop one from attending law school. I know that most people take out large loans to attend law school so what I'm asking is will a low income person be able to get the loans they need to attend law school? I have heard that some people need a co-signer to get the loans (I don't know if its true). Does anyone have any thoughts on this. Thanks in advance.

*devo*

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Will a low income background prevent one from attending law school?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 03:00:29 PM »
Well, as a low income student I am a little concerned as well.  Unless you have some established credit you will probably need a co-signer. My credit is no-so-good and I already have loans from undergrad.  It would kill me to get into a T14 and not be able to secure loans.

Bulldog86

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 01:58:29 AM »
(Assuming you're a US citizen:) There's no cosigner needed on Stafford or Grad PLUS, and those together will meet your cost of attendance.

PLUS requires a "credit check" but I believe you only get rejected if you recently went bankrupt or some similar black mark, NOT just a lack of credit history (because, after all, it's a loan to a student, and in many cases, we're pretty young. And law students are NOT considered dependents, so your parents' background is irrelevant here.).

The federal government created these loan programs to ensure that everyone can get an education regardless of where they came from. Being from a low income background shouldn't hurt you.
UVA Law Class of 2011

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 06:35:22 PM »
As someone who is in the "working poor" class, be aware that the whole process can be expensive. The LSAT, applications, visits, moving, housing for the first month, etc. Try to find the cheapest options for each stage (fee waivers, etc.) or it can really hurt.

TraciRai

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 10:22:30 PM »
As someone who is in the "working poor" class, be aware that the whole process can be expensive. The LSAT, applications, visits, moving, housing for the first month, etc. Try to find the cheapest options for each stage (fee waivers, etc.) or it can really hurt.

Yes, be sure to apply for a fee waiver from LSAC for testing and such, because some schools won't grant (need-based) fee waivers if you didn't apply for a waiver on th testing.