Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: pre-law... but not *Pre-Law*  (Read 642 times)

Top Cat

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ky. born, Ky. bred... when I die, I'll be Ky. dead
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
pre-law... but not *Pre-Law*
« on: June 13, 2008, 02:21:32 PM »
I was curious as to whether most of the posters are/ were considered pre-law in UG.  My university doesn't have a law school, and, while they do have a pre-law program, I feel that it is not really worth my time to declare pre-law.  I have been studying for the LSAT on my own since December, and the only advantage of our pre-law program is... well, to be honest, I don't see any advantage of the program.

Anyway, I was wondering what your thoughts were- is pre-law a worthwhile program or no?
University of Kentucky 1L

LSN

*devo*

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: pre-law... but not *Pre-Law*
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 02:25:05 PM »
My undergrad does not have an official pre-law major or curriculum, though I was "pre-law - undeclared" my first semester.  The pre-law advisor at my school changes every year or so and there is no benefit to be had.  There is more info on this board than through my advisor.

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 02:38:51 PM »
"Pre-law" is a distinction made by students who have the intention of going to law school.  At my school, there was no such official distinction.  I've heard of schools having a pre-law curriculum and/or major; however, the benefits of these seem to be largely non-existent. 

What does your pre-law program consist of?  From what I was told, focus on classes that help you improve writing skills, as well as, critical thinking.  Additionally, I was told to take classes that had dense reading content, so as to improve my comprehension ability.  That's why  majors such as philosophy, and political science are seen as good "stepping stones" to law school.

If your pre-law program is writing intensive and focuses on sifting through dense material, then the program would seem worthwhile, in terms of actually preparing you for law school (of course, this is based on what I was told; I'm just an 0L, i don't really know much).  However, if it really doesn't do anything else other than add that moniker to your degree/resume/what have you, I don't see the point; but could it hurt?  I don't know.

Top Cat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 03:07:36 PM »
I'm not a pre-law focus, so I don't know what exactly it consists of.  I think that they gravitate towards classes that are more logic-intensive, however, the primary tendency is that most (all?) of them are poli-sci majors.

Anyway, since I am hoping to go into corporate law, I think a BS in Business Management and a JD would go well together; moreso than a degree in PoliSci.

LSN

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 03:14:11 PM »
I'm not a pre-law focus, so I don't know what exactly it consists of.  I think that they gravitate towards classes that are more logic-intensive, however, the primary tendency is that most (all?) of them are poli-sci majors.

Anyway, since I am hoping to go into corporate law, I think a BS in Business Management and a JD would go well together; moreso than a degree in PoliSci.

More so than a degree in Business Management, I'd say a degree in finance (or even accounting?) would be better suited to complement a corporate law career.  I don't see how much of an advantage business management would give you, but definitely finance would be a boost. 

Top Cat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 03:18:49 PM »
Well, I am graduating in December and have only known since about last November that I wanted to be an attorney.  However, I have had tons of higher level business classes, includning Estate Planning, Essentials of Finance, and gobs of Accounting and Econ classes.  Also, I feel that, should I choose to operate my own firm some day, the management skills I have picked up will give me an advantage, seeing that even a law firm is still a business.

LSN

oscarlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 05:47:24 PM »
When I was starting UG they were phasing out their pre-law major saying that since there is no set curriculum for law school admission they would prefer we pursue other majors to make us more well rounded.

Even though I later found out that they brought back the pre-law major, I'm glad they pushed me to find other majors. I ended up with a degree in public relations and because I was moving so fast I added on a poli sci degree to substitute for the pre-law. Both lead to internships and experiences I think helped make my law school application look better. I think it was the best thing they could have done for me.

WashLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 12:38:53 AM »
 Honestly the Ad cons will probably prefer a candidate who didn't join a pre-law program. From what I can gather, they actually prefer people who explored many options before ls, hence the advise many have here of taking a year off before ls.