Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Dropping in on a school where you're waitlisted...  (Read 5699 times)

pete.

• View Profile
    • Email
Dropping in on a school where you're waitlisted...
« on: June 13, 2008, 10:04:32 AM »
in a couple weeks i'll be within a short drive of a school where i'm waitlisted and i'm thinking about stopping by to introduce myself. i just have no idea what i would say... anyone have any thoughts?

You Enjoy Myself

• View Profile
Re: Dropping in on a school where you're waitlisted...
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 10:20:18 AM »
It worked for me at a school where I was WL'ed.  I'd let them know when you're coming ahead of time and set up a tour and an "informational interview" where you can ask some questions.  Good luck.

TimMitchell

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 12:08:06 PM »
I did the same thing. Call up in advance to have a tour. I got an interview with the dean of admissions

pete.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 12:52:08 PM »
i will do this. appreciate the advice.

just curious, what type of questions would you ask in an informational interview when you already know you want to go to the school?

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 12:53:37 PM »
Absolutely. Just got off the WL during a visit. Definitely make an appointment to speak with the head cheese.

TimMitchell

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 01:55:12 PM »
I didn't really ask any questions, just told him how much more dedicated to attend the school after the tour. He asked me a bunch of questions about what I liked/didn't like about the admissions process.

limegreen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 02:18:35 PM »
I recently did this.  Hasn't changed anything yet but I'm hoping!  I think it at least shows you are serious about the school and that you're genuinely interested.  If you say that they're you're first choice it probably comes off a little more sincere if you've visited as well.

libdem

• Sr. Citizen
  • Woooooo, go gold!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - tricordertrekkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 01:56:12 PM »
I did this during the school year. I e-mailed ahead to attend a class and ended up doing the tour, too. I also dropped in to drop off a LOCI later. Lo and behold, they took me (after a second LOCI, which I PDFed and e-mailed)!

You might definitely make it a chance to drop off your "I will attend if you take me" LOCI, especially if you can think of anything else to add.
Georgetown c/o 2011

doog83

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 11:15:59 PM »
Let me get this right. So I call up the admission's office and ask for an "informational interview" and a tour of the campus. Should I request the dean for my interview or is it more of a default kind of thing? Any more suggestions to this process would be great. Thanks

justice4all

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 12:40:12 AM »
i say just take the tour and talk to someone, im actually considering doing same thing