Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Thoughts on my reaches, reasonables and safeties  (Read 1480 times)

chammon2

• View Profile
Re: Thoughts on my reaches, reasonables and safeties
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 05:37:03 PM »
Case Western is not a reach for you.  You will easily get in with money.  Maybe as much as $22k.  Seriously, look at LSN.  Get rid of Mercer and Stetson.  There is no need with a 163.  Think about UNC over Wake unless you're convinced you can get money at Wake.  Also, no need to apply to Akron.  Try Ohio State where residency is easier.  OSU has no emphasis on in-staters in admissions.  Don't dip so low on your safties.  163 with that GPA gets you solid money at a lot of tier 2's. 

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 08:34:38 PM »
Case Western is not a reach for you.  You will easily get in with money.  Maybe as much as $22k.  Seriously, look at LSN.  Get rid of Mercer and Stetson.  There is no need with a 163.  Think about UNC over Wake unless you're convinced you can get money at Wake.  Also, no need to apply to Akron.  Try Ohio State where residency is easier.  OSU has no emphasis on in-staters in admissions.  Don't dip so low on your safties.  163 with that GPA gets you solid money at a lot of tier 2's. 

TITCR in all regards. If you really want some safeties in Florida, apply to FSU, Miami, or UF. You'll probably get money from all of them and Miami will happily buy your LSAT/GPA combo for some serious cash. If you want Georgia, apply to UGA, my money says you get in, maybe with some cash.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 09:11:00 PM »
A friend of mine had similar numbers and got good scholarships from both Cincinnati and Case.

Netopalis

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - troop85eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 11:42:51 PM »
Very interesting...I set my sights much lower after I was told that my numbers were weak when I visited Wake - they told me that they'd admit me, but with little to no cash.  I figured that I was overvaluing myself and set my sights lower...UNC is a bit big for me - I like smaller schools, and I just didn't like what I saw while I was there.  Should I be throwing out WVU altogether?  Any other mid-line schools in the east that I might want to consider? 

*feverishly takes notes*
Mercer University School of Law '12

lollypotter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2008, 10:10:16 AM »
Sorry, I forgot to reply to Lawyer999's earlier post - didn't see it.

Taking 2 years out of my life to join the peace corps or a similar organization just to increase my chances of law school admission seems a bit excessive.   If the law school doesn't want me for who I am, then perhaps it's not a school that I should be considering in the first place.  Sorry, it just really feels kinda..cheap?  to do something like that just for law school purposes.

Yeah, I'll be checking the VA residency requirements as soon as I can - I think I can put together a pretty strong case for it, as the town that I live in is bisected by the VA/WV state line.  I was strongly considering moving across the state line anyway.

That's a pretty melodramatic statement, and it frankly borders on stupidity.  I 100% agree that you shouldn't take two years out because those soft factors are not likely to help you that much.

I hope you didn't take the 'real me' approach to the LSAT. If you didn't commit serious time and destroy it, consider retaking.
Homer & Bart: Lisa's going to Stanford, Lisa's going to Stanford...
Lisa: Take it back!
Homer:... Stanford!

Netopalis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2008, 10:49:15 AM »
I genuinely studied for the LSAT.  What I meant was that the peace corps doesn't really reflect me as a person, and that it would be rather deceptive to try to build a fake image from it.  Well, that and the fact that I really doubt it would help that incredibly much.  Assuming that I could make 40-50,000$ a year out of college, the scholarships would have to increase by 80-100,000$ to make up for it - this seems unreasonable. 

That being said, you do have to consider that in the seller-buyer economy, we are the buyers in this case and should expect to be treated reasonably well.  Yes, these law schools are doing us tremendous favors by accepting us, but likewise we are doing them favors by sending them our money and (hopefully) doing well in our future careers.  It's a symbiotic relationship. 

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2008, 02:01:28 PM »

Should I be throwing out WVU altogether?  ...

Probably, but if you're already a resident, maybe you should see what they say. If they give you a generous enough aid package and you want to stay, it might be worth it.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Netopalis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2008, 05:55:59 PM »
Fascinating advice....I'll definitely keep these in mind.   Of the schools that I've mentioned in my reach and middle levels, which do you folks think will be willing to give me good scholarships?  Which aren't that generous?  Would that mostly depend on my numbers or on soft factors and the personal statement?

Betsy 1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2008, 11:41:09 PM »
Sorry, I forgot to reply to Lawyer999's earlier post - didn't see it.

Taking 2 years out of my life to join the peace corps or a similar organization just to increase my chances of law school admission seems a bit excessive.   If the law school doesn't want me for who I am, then perhaps it's not a school that I should be considering in the first place.  Sorry, it just really feels kinda..cheap?  to do something like that just for law school purposes.

Yeah, I'll be checking the VA residency requirements as soon as I can - I think I can put together a pretty strong case for it, as the town that I live in is bisected by the VA/WV state line.  I was strongly considering moving across the state line anyway.

just want to be a voice of support on this :).  I just got home from peace corps, and if you do it for any other reason than wanting to in and of itself, it will be virtually impossible to stick it out (unless you're a lucky one with a stable setup).  And you can't save money, you'll only spend any savings you have on traveling.  Doing it to get into law school would be...IMO, a terrible idea.  As the book says, do what you are!