Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I use my experience in Iraq in my PS?  (Read 1518 times)

zero

• View Profile
Re: Should I use my experience in Iraq in my PS?
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2008, 09:30:31 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I do intend to add some specifics from two events.  Fortunately, I have plenty of time to revise, I don't plan on applying to schools until Fall of 2009, so I am confident that I can say what I want to say while remaining politically neutral and without using any military lingo.  I really want to stand out; so I want to get away from the "time-line" style of PS's and use this "snapshot" style to highlight my strengths and answer the "why do you want to become a lawyer" question.  I will list all of my other accomplishments in my resume and my diversity statement.  Do you think this strategy will work, or is it too risky?

tebucky

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 03:16:20 PM »
My PS focused entirely on my experiences over there.  From a plot perspective, I included a combat scene to open the statement (the other posters are absolutely correct about sanitizing what you write), and then described how my particular position as a "fiscal ambassador" of sorts for SOCCENT and how that allowed a young officer to witness events from a strategic as opposed to tactical point of view. I was over there from Dec'02 through Nov '03, so thematically I focused on how witnessing the buildup, invasion and occupation piqued my curiosity in the law.

I think being a veteran has helped, not because of any inherent "veterans preference" but because it is a rather uncommon experience among law school applicants. I believe it's really a numbers game - the only evidence I can offer to the contrary is that I wasn't rejected from any school I applied to (some obscene reaches), but then again, I haven't been let in off of any waitlists either!   

Sell Out

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bienvenido al Terrordome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 09:59:54 PM »
I had the same experience.  It almost seemed like they were extending me a courtesy with no intention of actually admitting me.
Rocking in the free world.

UH 2010