Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pitt or Rutgers-Camden  (Read 1378 times)

Sergio

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Pitt or Rutgers-Camden
« on: June 13, 2008, 01:25:10 AM »
I have a deposit down at Rutgers; I was asked by Pitt if I was interested about a month ago off the WL, with the understanding that if I was, I was ready to commit a $500 nonrefundable deposit.  I declined, because I hadn't gotten the chance to visit Pitt and I am north of Philly so Rutgers is closer.

Now I am having second thoughts.  Pitt is in a nice area from what I hear, and Rutgers' neighborhood is unimpressive at best.  Also, it seems Temple and Nova might have an edge for Philly jobs.  Anybody know about Pitt's placement outside of Pittsburgh, or about comparing these two in general?  Cost would be the same.

Team Awesome

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Pitt or Rutgers-Camden
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 09:25:40 AM »
I have a deposit down at Rutgers; I was asked by Pitt if I was interested about a month ago off the WL, with the understanding that if I was, I was ready to commit a $500 nonrefundable deposit.  I declined, because I hadn't gotten the chance to visit Pitt and I am north of Philly so Rutgers is closer.

Now I am having second thoughts.  Pitt is in a nice area from what I hear, and Rutgers' neighborhood is unimpressive at best.  Also, it seems Temple and Nova might have an edge for Philly jobs.  Anybody know about Pitt's placement outside of Pittsburgh, or about comparing these two in general?  Cost would be the same.

Is Pitt's offer still on the table? It isn't clear from your post how it was left but if you declined, chances are they moved on down the list and your spot is now taken.

Aristone07

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 03:11:24 PM »
Just a few things worth mentioning about Rutgers-Camden (disclaimer:  I didn't attend R-C, but know many people who did and frequented the campus). 

1.  The area surrounding Rutgers-Camden is actually nicer than expected.  When I visited the school during Admitted Students Day, I was pleasantly surprised.  This portion of Camden is known as the University district and is comprised of three schools (Rowan University, R-C and Camden County College).  As such, you have three different school's public safety roaming around as well as Camden police (who heavily traffic the area).  I have walked around the area at night and, while not feeling 100% safe, it felt similar to walking through portions of Olde City/South Street in Philadelphia at night.  Also, have you visited the campus?  It isn't half bad and with the new law nschool building, it actually could be a nice place to go to law school.  It is Camden, but you can certainly make the best of that situation by not living there (though many students live in the Victor building) and traveling during the day. 
2.  R-C's placement is on par with Nova and probably very slightly below Temple.  The difference between the schools is negligible.  If you do well (say, top 25%0 you should be fine. 
3.  Pitt's placement outside of Pitt is relatively limited (from what I've heard).  It's a great school, but Philly is saturated with law schools and lawyers. 

I guess what I'm saying is...I'd stick with Rutgers on this one.

DontQuestionMe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 03:13:36 PM »
Pitt lost all credibility when they hired Steve Pederson back, as their athletic director, after he was fired by Nebraska.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 03:41:15 PM »
Pitt, it's not in New jersey.

But if you do take Rutgers, at least it's Camden and not Newark.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Aristone07

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 05:11:40 PM »
Hey NJ isnt that bad.  At least parts of it.

dekocards

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • stats
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 05:30:32 PM »

The hell are you talking about?  Have you even been to Jersey?  Reading this comment makes me think not.  Camden is by far the worst place to be in the State.  Newark is actually quite nice these days, particularly around the Downtown, where RU-N and SHU-Law campuses are found.

FWIW, I would take living in Jersey over PA any day of the week.  Luckily I soon won't be living in either state.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 08:29:41 PM »

The hell are you talking about?  Have you even been to Jersey?  Reading this comment makes me think not.  Camden is by far the worst place to be in the State.  Newark is actually quite nice these days, particularly around the Downtown, where RU-N and SHU-Law campuses are found.

FWIW, I would take living in Jersey over PA any day of the week.  Luckily I soon won't be living in either state.

Not in a while. Maybe it's changed, but I recall Newark being a train wreck. Camden didn't seem much better, but it did seem better.

At least we agree that we're glad we don't have to make this choice. ;)
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

DoorNumber3

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 08:48:27 PM »
I love Pittsburgh and the surrounding areas; therefore, I'm going to Pitt as it's the dominant school for the Pittsburgh market.  If you see yourself in Philadelphia after law school, maybe Rutgers or Temple would be better choices.

Good luck either way.

Team Awesome

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 09:28:40 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks that OP declining the original offer makes this entire conversation pointless?