Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 3.267 at nyu...need help  (Read 1789 times)

mbalm

• View Profile
3.267 at nyu...need help
« on: June 12, 2008, 06:18:13 PM »
   3.267 1L gpa from nyu...wondering what firms people think i should try to interview with. more interested in corporate (not sure exactly what type), hours are a big concern (just relatively good ones for a big firm), willing to interview in NY, SF, CHI (although i dont have city connections beyond just liking each of them)
    really interested in any advice anyone could offer...not so much time left to pick firms to interview with.

thanks in advance.

Serenity Now

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 3.267 at nyu...need help
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 07:25:10 PM »
Well, what does a 3.26 mean in terms of your class rank?

mbalm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 09:13:35 PM »
probably a smidge outside top 30%...but im not really sure

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 10:40:24 PM »
   3.267 1L gpa from nyu...wondering what firms people think i should try to interview with. more interested in corporate (not sure exactly what type), hours are a big concern (just relatively good ones for a big firm), willing to interview in NY, SF, CHI (although i dont have city connections beyond just liking each of them)
    really interested in any advice anyone could offer...not so much time left to pick firms to interview with.

thanks in advance.

Don't you get to bid for 50 firms?  Seems like plenty.

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 01:28:28 AM »
those grades are around the median. probably a  reach for the top 20 vault firms, and you have a good shot at the rest.

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 11:05:38 AM »
those grades are around the median. probably a  reach for the top 20 vault firms, and you have a good shot at the rest.

I have to disagree.  I know people here who have median grades who are at V10 firms.  Granted the job market is probably going to be worse this year, but I think V20 should be pretty doable.  Plus the person might have idiosyncratic factors that might help.

NYC2L

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 12:47:12 PM »
Out of curiosity, what is the GPA breakdown at NYU? It seems like 3.3+ is top 1/3 and 3.0-3.3 represents practically everyone else. But what about top 25%, 20%, 10%, etc. I recognize that NYU does not provide this information to benefit its students, but I'm interested nonetheless. Also, how significantly does the GPA breakdown change after 2L year?