Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Deciding between Harvard and Yale  (Read 3299 times)

appo24

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Deciding between Harvard and Yale
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2008, 06:03:16 PM »
One thing I am wondering is that, there seems to be a sentiment on the online law student community that choosing Harvard over Yale is something insensible, as exemplified by Max Fischer's quote above:

Don't be an idiot; go to Yale.

If I were to cautiously hypothesize, I think it's precisely because of the lay prestige that Harvard has.
Law students, or prospective law students, seem to want to portray themselves to be a bit more knowledgeable than, and a little different from, the 'ignorant mass' who are so hung up over THE Harvard.
Kinda like people who don't listen to a certain singer just because everyone else is listening to her.
People may have different oppinions about whether to choose Harvard or Yale and I'm not really advocating either, but I don't think choosing Harvard over Yale is in any way foolish.
Anyway, I wish I could ever be in a situation to choose between these two schools.

I could not agree with you more.  To think that someone is stupid for choosing HLS over YLS is definitely naive.  Never underestimate the importance of prestige in a prestige driven world, especially in the US where everything under the sun is ranked.  I think the people who automatically say one ought to choose YLS over HLS *may* be the ones who pay too much attention to rankings, or they *may* just love YLS' non-competitive atmosphere.  But if YLS really is #1 as US NEWS reports, is the gap between #1 and #2 greater than the gap in prestige of Harvard over Yale?

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2008, 07:13:14 PM »
I've heard talk that US NEWS may include a % of student body that clerks into their law school ranking methodology

They don't.

Unless they can determine how many students in each graduating class actually pursues a clerkship in the first place, using a % figure is probably not a good idea.

That's easily attainable--CDO keeps the stats, and about half of YLS's graduating class clerks every year.  HLS keeps similar stats.

My point was that you have to determine how many actually pursue the clerkship.  If half of YLS' graduating class clerks each year, then I bet every single person at YLS applies for a clerkship.  The same is probably not true for HLS, where the interests may be more diverse.  If what you said above takes this into account already, then I apologize because it wasn't clear.
but I still get the feeling that YLS suffers an inferiority complex when you consider the greater power and prestige of HLS in the real world.

Having actually attended YLS, I can name no one who has an "inferiority complex" w/r/t HLS...what, exactly, could we get from HLS that we can't get from YLS?  Nothing.  Stop speculating about that which you do not know.

Your angry tone suggests otherwise.  Take it easy. 

::)

Or.... he is annoyed that you so confidently assert things that are not true.

Why would you think that every single person at YLS applies for a clerkship if half of them clerk? Do you have any basis for thinking they only have a 50% success rate in applying for clerkships? That is doubtful. Do you have any basis for believing that people at HLS have more diverse interests, or that that must make up the difference in clerkship rates?

Because it really does sound like you're just making this stuff up.

Credited...because he is.  But I can't say that I haven't seen his type before.  Perhaps I was even a bit like him 5 years ago...

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2008, 07:21:47 PM »
I've heard talk that US NEWS may include a % of student body that clerks into their law school ranking methodology

They don't.

I know that they currently don't.  Hence why I said they 'may include'.  wow, with that YLS education, I'd think you'd be able to pay more attention to detail.  ;)

::rolls eyes:: And as a wannabe (smart-ass) lawyer, you should recognize and clarify the ambiguities in your statements (this also applies to the other posts that I'm ignoring).

appo24

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2008, 09:30:03 PM »

They don't.

I know that they currently don't.  Hence why I said they 'may include'.  wow, with that YLS education, I'd think you'd be able to pay more attention to detail.  ;)

::rolls eyes:: And as a wannabe (smart-ass) lawyer, you should recognize and clarify the ambiguities in your statements (this also applies to the other posts that I'm ignoring).

How was the statement you were referring to above in any way ambiguous???  Since you are so incredibly defensive, I gather you definitely went to or are a current student at YLS, and you should be able to realize my statement was not ambiguous.

Clearly, I have stepped on some toes.  So let me be clear on one thing: both law schools are august institutions.  I was merely discussing the issues that the OP highlighted from my point of view. You really need to chill. 

appo24

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2008, 09:37:14 PM »

[/quote]

Credited...because he is.  But I can't say that I haven't seen his type before.  Perhaps I was even a bit like him 5 years ago...
[/quote]

Making it up?  Can you point out where I made a definitive statement?  And please refute any supposed facts that I have put forth.  I'd love for you to englighten me, since it seems you are under the impression that you are 5 years ahead of me in your maturity and knowledge.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2008, 10:23:50 PM »
Lol I really don't have time for you, but you do provide amusement between barbri practice sets.

"May" has more than one meaning.  Since you did not clarify that your usage of "may" was meant to indicate the future, then it was indeed ambiguous.

As for refuting misinformation about YLS, I've done that for far too long and don't really have the desire to do so anymore.  The only reason I responded to you was because you stated your bull with such certainty that I could not resist the temptation to interject.  Having done so, I am satiated.  Indeed, my cup now runneth over.

But do continue; like I said, I find this exchange amusing.

appo24

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2008, 12:52:33 PM »
Lol I really don't have time for you, but you do provide amusement between barbri practice sets.

"May" has more than one meaning.  Since you did not clarify that your usage of "may" was meant to indicate the future, then it was indeed ambiguous.

As for refuting misinformation about YLS, I've done that for far too long and don't really have the desire to do so anymore.  The only reason I responded to you was because you stated your bull with such certainty that I could not resist the temptation to interject.  Having done so, I am satiated.  Indeed, my cup now runneth over.

Point #1: When I said to chill, I did not mean act superciliously

Point #2: If there was no truth to what I said, I doubt you would act so defensively. I also see that you are the type to refute everything you disagree with, so given the fact that you only pointed out a few lines in my long, first post suggests that the majority of what I wrote in the first post is in fact pretty accurate.

Point #3: Your huge number of posts on this board suggests that you do in fact have plenty of time.  ;)

Point #4: I concede that there is a small degree of ambiguity in my sentence after reading it again.  But I think the usage of 'may..into' suggests they haven't done so already.  Besides, given everything I wrote, do you think I wouldn't know what criteria they use in their rankings?  I mean, give me a break.  Show me some of that stunning logical reasoning that enabled you to achieve a high lsat score, unlesss of course you're one of those 150s that magically make it into YLS every year.

Point #5: I never stated anything with certainty.  I already made that clear - again, pay attention to detail; it will be important in your career in law.

Point #6: In your post, it is so blatantly obvious that you are trying to keep your cool, when in reality your head is about to explode, whether out of anger or arrogance I'm not quite sure.

Point #7:  I'll say it again.  Both HLS and YLS are august institutions and anyone who attends either one should be proud.  My first post was just an attempt to address the OP's concerns.

appo24

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2008, 01:16:42 PM »
I don't think it's for you to decide whether the concern is legitimate or not.
Regardless of how stupid it may seem to you, it appears to be an important factor for highflying, and if so, it is.

Having said that, I don't think you can really draw a fine line between these two schools as far as career advantage goes, as you, highflying, must already be aware.
I think if you want to throw your (school's) name around, that's your choice. What's so wrong about getting some psychological gratification? In the end, you do everything to feel good about yourself, and if other people's admiration makes you feel good, go for it. It's not a crime.
So the decision is yours, I think. Just choose the school that you will be more proud of, if that's what's important to you.

It looks like your second post in this thread (and my post agreeing with you) have been deleted somehow.  Very odd.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2008, 01:30:35 PM »
Ah, you're back again!  I almost missed you.  Let's see what we have this time.

1. Don't care.
2. Obviously not the case, since I stated previously that, although I took issue with most of your assertions, I cared to respond only to one.  And I like to argue; it's fun.  So please don't take my engaging you on this subject as a compliment or as a sign that you're somehow getting under my skin.
3. Normal amount of posting over several years.  Do the math.
4. Try again.  You're really not very good at making textual arguments.
5. "
6. Do better
7. You were more unhelpful than helpful.

Your turn!

jd2bee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2008, 01:33:54 PM »

Point #1: When I said to chill, I did not mean act superciliously

Point #2: If there was no truth to what I said, I doubt you would act so defensively. I also see that you are the type to refute everything you disagree with, so given the fact that you only pointed out a few lines in my long, first post suggests that the majority of what I wrote in the first post is in fact pretty accurate.

Point #3: Your huge number of posts on this board suggests that you do in fact have plenty of time.  ;)

Point #4: I concede that there is a small degree of ambiguity in my sentence after reading it again.  But I think the usage of 'may..into' suggests they haven't done so already.  Besides, given everything I wrote, do you think I wouldn't know what criteria they use in their rankings?  I mean, give me a break.  Show me some of that stunning logical reasoning that enabled you to achieve a high lsat score, unlesss of course you're one of those 150s that magically make it into YLS every year.

Point #5: I never stated anything with certainty.  I already made that clear - again, pay attention to detail; it will be important in your career in law.

Point #6: In your post, it is so blatantly obvious that you are trying to keep your cool, when in reality your head is about to explode, whether out of anger or arrogance I'm not quite sure.

Point #7:  I'll say it again.  Both HLS and YLS are august institutions and anyone who attends either one should be proud.  My first post was just an attempt to address the OP's concerns.

Geez, I hope you never end up at HLS.  Just sayin...