Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How about serving for two years?  (Read 953 times)

ajb

• View Profile
How about serving for two years?
« on: June 12, 2008, 03:29:59 PM »
... in the Peace Corps, duh.

Do you think that applying for the Peace Corps after undergrad, using the two years to study for the LSATs and for law school in general, would help my chances at all?  The way I look at it, it's a great way to save myself the pressure of having applications, tests, etc. due my senior year (this year) and I have "Peace Corps Volunteer" on my resume.

Any thoughts?  Do law schools value this kind of service?  Am I mistaken in thinking that waiting for two years after undergrad is a good idea?   ???
"There is nothing in the world more helpless  and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge... and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon."

ajb

• View Profile
Re: How about serving for two years?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 04:13:51 PM »
If you only want to take one year off, you could also look into Americorp.

Word, I did some research on that too, but the thing is my sister did the Peace Corps after she graduated from undergrad (and subsequently got into OSU's veterinary program with an average undergrad GPA -- we tend to think it was the Peace Corps that did the trick for her)...  Since I'm in the same boat (GPA-wise, although I do have another year to pull it up a few more points from the 3.01 I'm presently rocking), and also just because the Peace Corps looks like the most excellent experience possible in terms of travel (and deferred loans), that's what I'm shooting for.  Presently, anyways.

Thanks for the input, sir.  Look forward to making more contributions on LSD.
"There is nothing in the world more helpless  and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge... and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon."

sinkfloridasink

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 04:17:28 PM »
I think the best way to look at it would be to totally take law school out of the equation. Peace Corps is a huge commitment, and any kind of boost it will provide to your law school application will not be substantial (it's still gonna be GPA/LSAT mostly). Do it because you want to take a couple years and do something meaningful. I think it'd be an awesome experience, law school or not.
Tulane c/o 2011

ajb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 04:48:48 PM »
lol obviously i'm not joining the Peace Corps to get into law school.  if i wanted to get into law school, i'd apply for it now.  I've wanted to get into the PC for a while, now it's getting time to actually start applying, and i thought that going to grad school after being a PCV would be spot on, you know?  it's like one of those win-win situations you always hear about but rarely find yourself in.  i'm joining the peace corps because i want to volunteer and go somewhere and learn about inequality and all that, i'd apply for law school after because i want to be a lawyer.

ps -- not every third world country is completely bereft of internet access.  also, book trumps internet ftw.

ajb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 09:55:09 AM »
bump

ajb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 11:16:07 AM »
no wai!

for real, though.  thanks for the $0.02 folks.  be seein' ya.

edit -- just spoke with a friend of mine who mentioned that a girl who just got done serving her two years in the Peace Corps in Africa got turned down by Fordham Law...    :-\

Team Awesome

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 11:25:30 AM »
then she probably didn't have the numbers for Fordham law. It's a nice soft, not a golden ticket.

Betsy 1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 12:00:03 AM »
... in the Peace Corps, duh.

Do you think that applying for the Peace Corps after undergrad, using the two years to study for the LSATs and for law school in general, would help my chances at all?  The way I look at it, it's a great way to save myself the pressure of having applications, tests, etc. due my senior year (this year) and I have "Peace Corps Volunteer" on my resume.

Any thoughts?  Do law schools value this kind of service?  Am I mistaken in thinking that waiting for two years after undergrad is a good idea?   ???

I did it, and did the 2 years thing, but everyone else is right about the commitment.  Making time for studying for the LSAT, getting application materials in on time, and actually taking the LSAT abroad (chances are not good that you'll have a testing site anywhere nearby) is DIFFICULT.  Most posts will not give you the time for this; I planned to apply to law schools a year later, but my somewhat weak program meant I had less work hours every week than the average volunteer.  Time management was difficult nonetheless, as I went through unpredictable periods of inactivity and activity in waves; you work when people pop up to ask for your help or suddenly decide they like the project idea you suggested 2 months ago, and saying no because you're working on your applications isn't really morally right or approved-of by PC.  Also, you'll need someone in the states willing to seriously work and help you apply.

And finally, it will be very difficult and miserable for you to stick out your 2 years of service if you are doing it solely as a resume-builder.  I know you say that this isn't why you're thinking of doing it, but reread your post above and think about your real reasons.  If you're sure, then apply, for god's sake don't mention any ulterior motives at your interview, and pray you get a post like mine with locally available (though less-than-reliable) internet cafes.  Peace Corps is great, but it's not for everyone.  People who want to help others can do just as much good (possibly more) by volunteering at home or with Americorps.

OK, tirade done.  Good luck, whatever your decision!