Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Middle of the pack at t-20 - Prospects  (Read 3885 times)

jgd224

• View Profile
Middle of the pack at t-20 - Prospects
« on: June 12, 2008, 03:28:06 PM »
Subject says it all....I have a B/B- average from a top 20...I would like to work in NY (NJ even)..what do you think my prospects are? I know I am going to have to do a bunch of direct-writes.

TeeTwenty

• View Profile
Re: Middle of the pack at t-20 - Prospects
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 02:42:16 AM »
Similar situation here, except I am just barely (microscopically) above B+...

sami

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 06:56:45 PM »
I know how you feel, have right above B average at a school like you and am definitely not looking forward to fall recruiting.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 07:17:45 PM »
Your career prospects will probably be different from different schools.  You might want to specify the name.

Transfer09

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 07:49:38 PM »
I'm currently at a t20, and most of my friends around the middle of the class have jobs that pay in the six-figure range (many in the NYC/NJ area). 

Provided you interview well and can boast a good writing sample, you should be able to find something, albeit perhaps not paying 160 at a V30 firm. 

TeeTwenty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 09:38:18 PM »
Your career prospects will probably be different from different schools.  You might want to specify the name.

LOLOLOLOLOL! no.

TeeTwenty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 09:39:16 PM »
I'm currently at a t20, and most of my friends around the middle of the class have jobs that pay in the six-figure range (many in the NYC/NJ area).

Yeah? Can you reveal any of the firms they work at?

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 09:47:59 PM »

Provided you interview well and can boast a good writing sample, you should be able to find something, albeit perhaps not paying 160 at a V30 firm. 

Assuming a B/B- is a 2.85, that's not the middle of the pack. It probably puts him closer to the bottom 10 or 15%. This depends on the school, obviously, and their curve, but I think most of the schools on the backend of the top 20 are on a 3.1-3.2-3.3 curve.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 10:43:04 PM »

LOLOLOLOLOL! no.

Good point.

intel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 11:19:04 PM »

Assuming a B/B- is a 2.85, that's not the middle of the pack. It probably puts him closer to the bottom 10 or 15%. This depends on the school, obviously, and their curve, but I think most of the schools on the backend of the top 20 are on a 3.1-3.2-3.3 curve.

this seems way off.