Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Mac Users--Best way to take notes during class with your Mac  (Read 5721 times)

limegreen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Mac Users--Best way to take notes during class with your Mac
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2008, 02:39:57 PM »
I have used all the solutions mentioned and have always come back to Onenote 2007. It is worth it to me to run it through VMware and XP. For me there simply is no better solution. If only the notebook function in Word 2008 worked as well.....

Oingo

I'd love to have OneNote but I am not going through all that trouble.  They really need to make a Mac version, until then I'll just have to use something else.

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2008, 10:59:19 PM »
I have used all the solutions mentioned and have always come back to Onenote 2007. It is worth it to me to run it through VMware and XP. For me there simply is no better solution. If only the notebook function in Word 2008 worked as well.....

Oingo

I'd love to have OneNote but I am not going through all that trouble.  They really need to make a Mac version, until then I'll just have to use something else.

Don't hold your breath.....

Oingo
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2008, 12:49:11 AM »
My classmate likes Journler a lot.  It seems to have some very good features.  Here's their website:

http://journler.com/

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

laughing hard

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2008, 01:47:09 AM »
My classmate likes Journler a lot.  It seems to have some very good features.  Here's their website:

http://journler.com/

Thanks for the link! I'm definitely going to try this one out.
UCLA Law Class of 2011

jlube85

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2008, 10:04:44 PM »
I am trying to decide which program to purchase in order to make outlines.  I have watched to tutorials for both programs online and am having a tough time deciding which program would be better to use.  Circus ponies does seem a bit more fancy than necessary, however it is about 30 dollars cheaper than omnioutliner pro.  Any suggestions on which program would be better to purchase and why?

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2008, 06:17:43 PM »
Omni Outliner comes with the new Macs, and you don't really need Pro. The only thing extra it does is add page numbers. I'm kinda horrified that the regular version doesn't...

lilly22

• Washington & Lee!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2008, 08:14:53 PM »

jlube85

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2008, 02:24:46 AM »
So I think I have decided to go with Circus Ponies Notebook but I still want to know how to go about the process of briefing cases, taking notes and forming outlines.  Does it make sense to have one notebook that is divided by topics in case briefs and class notes and a separate notebook for an outline?  Should the notebook be used for briefs and class notes and an outline simply be created using Word?  I know the answer to this question is probably on an individual basis but what does everyone suggest?

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2008, 10:30:54 AM »
So I think I have decided to go with Circus Ponies Notebook but I still want to know how to go about the process of briefing cases, taking notes and forming outlines.  Does it make sense to have one notebook that is divided by topics in case briefs and class notes and a separate notebook for an outline?  Should the notebook be used for briefs and class notes and an outline simply be created using Word?  I know the answer to this question is probably on an individual basis but what does everyone suggest?

I can answer one part of it, at least from my perspective.  I briefed cases for about a week, and then started "book briefing."  I like this way MUCH better.  I highlight (in different colors for P/D, court, facts, rules) and then write in the margins if I need to.  The other way took much too long, and I was mostly transcribing anyway.

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2008, 02:21:11 PM »
I briefed the whole year, but I think the reason I was able to do that is b/c my briefs were never that long or in depth, just a tool to make sure I figured out the most important concepts from the cases.

When I was reading I would brief the case in Times New Roman, and then during class I would hit 3 returns between the name/year of the case and the rest of the brief and then type all my class notes in Arial, so that the class notes were sandwiched between the name of the case & the rest of the brief. I did this all in Word 1st semester & Google Docs 2nd semester.