Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Mac Users--Best way to take notes during class with your Mac  (Read 5712 times)

dsetterl

Re: Mac Users--Best way to take notes during class with your Mac
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 10:24:23 AM »
I really like the Notebook by Circus Ponies. Once you learn the hotkeys it is really easy. Also really easy to integrate outside files into it.

jlube85

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 05:32:08 PM »
Is it safe to say that it isn't a necessity to have Microsoft Office on a Mac but it wouldn't hurt?

limegreen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 10:06:17 PM »
Is it safe to say that it isn't a necessity to have Microsoft Office on a Mac but it wouldn't hurt?

You're going to need some sort of Word Processor.  I like having Office because compatibility is not going to be an issue and I like to have Excel/Word because I use them for a lot of things other than school.  You could probably use the iWork thing or whatever it's called but you need something for typing papers, etc.

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 10:17:38 PM »
I love OmniOutliner for outlining, but I didn't use it for class notes. I like to be able to write things in my notes in the regular old word processor style. I used Google Docs last semester and liked it except that it doesn't work well with Safari and a lot of times wouldn't save my formatting changes (I like to switch fonts a lot).

I'm probably going back to Word next semester.

jlube85

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 11:01:36 PM »
All this advice is really helping.  I guess I will just try out a few things before school starts and see what I like best and use omnioutliner for outlining.  The only reason I have asked about Microsoft office is because someone told me that it crashed on their Mac and that it was a resource hog. Any thoughts? 

limegreen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2008, 11:30:06 PM »
All this advice is really helping.  I guess I will just try out a few things before school starts and see what I like best and use omnioutliner for outlining.  The only reason I have asked about Microsoft office is because someone told me that it crashed on their Mac and that it was a resource hog. Any thoughts? 

My BF has the older one and I've seen it not work for him several times.  I have Word 2008 for Mac and I haven't had any issues yet.  I've used Excel, Word, and Powerpoint and haven't had problems with any of them.  I actually really like Word 2008.  I was afraid it would be difficult to get used to the interface but it turned out to be fine.

As far as outlining goes I would suggest download a couple of the free trials and trying them out, as well as Notebook view in word.  Circus Ponies Notebook had a 30 day trial I think and I don't remember about OmniOutliner, but they are pretty different so trying them out should give you a chance to see which one fits your style better.

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2008, 01:27:34 AM »
I was having a major problem with Word 2004 crashing my machine.  Then during finals I upgraded to 2008 because I had a final I needed to use it for and hoped that the upgrade would help my problem.  The final went fine, but I did have it crash at least once at another time.  No problems since then, but I don't use it for extended periods now that school is over.  So we'll see how it is this fall.
Michigan Law Class of 2010

laughing hard

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2008, 01:12:17 PM »
I've been using Pages to take notes in lectures for my last year as an undergrad, and it's worked really well for me.

It doesn't have a native note-taking template, but you can find some here: http://iworkcommunity.com/

I used to use Word 2004 as well, but I had the same problem with it crashing.
UCLA Law Class of 2011

GCoop.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2008, 01:29:12 PM »
Office 04 definitely doesn't play nice with the new Intel based Macs.

The new version of Office is designed for the new Macs and doesn't have the same problems.

That said, Pages seems to be sufficient.

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2008, 02:25:10 PM »
I have used all the solutions mentioned and have always come back to Onenote 2007. It is worth it to me to run it through VMware and XP. For me there simply is no better solution. If only the notebook function in Word 2008 worked as well.....

Oingo
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."