Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How to hang diplomas in office?  (Read 8868 times)

AceTen21

• View Profile
    • Email
How to hang diplomas in office?
« on: June 11, 2008, 05:38:21 PM »
So I just got an office at work and am now wondering, is there a right or wrong way to hang diplomas?

The only thing I've heard is they go on the wall behind your desk?  I think I'll just be hanging my law (if I pass the bar in July) and CPA license.

I'd actually also like to hang my college diploma because I went to a decent undergrad business program, colleges are usually a conversation starter, and I'm always curious as to where people went.  At the same time, hanging college and law diplomas and licenses seems a bit ridiculous.

What is everyone else doing or planning on doing?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: How to hang diplomas in office?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 06:56:18 PM »
It seems standard to frame and hang your undergrad and law diplomas.  I've never heard of it having to go behind your desk; I've seen people put it on whatever wall they have room for it.  I'll be framing mine (still haven't framed my undergrad diploma from 5 years ago...), and hanging them.

No idea about the CPA license though.

Lampshade Punk

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Even in the quietest moments."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 10:19:40 AM »
go with a professional framing company that can give the matte and seal of the school.  You will pay more, but in the end it will look better.  Its nice to see something you worked so hard for actually look nice in your office.  I don't think it has anything to do with arrogance, for the record.

limegreen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 11:04:39 AM »
College bookstores usually sell them with the seal and everything.  I bought one before graduation and framed my diploma that night because I was afraid I'd lose it or mess it up.  It turned out pretty good and it was only about $130.

dsetterl

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 11:23:12 AM »
When I was home this weekend I found my pre-K diploma in my baby book. I think it is really funny how people put up all their degrees, licenses, and bar admissions. So I am going with pre-k and 8th grade diplomas. certificates.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 01:19:53 PM »
I think you should put up any degree or cert. that inspires confidence in your client.
I would think most of them would like to see your UG degree, law degree, bar licenses for sure.
If you're in a financial sector of law, your CPA license could also inspire confidence that you know what you're doing.

Based on what I've seen in attorney's offices that I've worked for:

Other relevant professional licenses or degrees would also make sense to me.  An M.D. or a Ph.D would sure look impressive to most clients.  They look impressive to me when I'm in the offices of attorneys with them.  Even an LL.M or an MA, or an MBA seems impressive to me.  I knew a guy with a post-graduate certificate in "Domestic Violence Prevention" from UMass Lowell.  He was a Family Law guy, so it made sense to have up.  If he had been a personal injury guy, it would have seemed a little off to me.

I think that anything that makes an attorney look "smart" and that is relevant to the field of law is good.

A Notary Public license.... ehhh probably not so much (unless you're also providing notary services out of your office, I suppose.)

A paralegal certificate from before you were an attorney could be nice while you're a new attorney since you could arguable "tack on" that experience to your lawyering career... but once you've passed the "newbie" stage, I don't think it would be beneficial, and might go from "tack on" to "tacky". 

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 01:22:03 PM »
You should use construction putty and stick em to your walls.

Lampshade Punk

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Even in the quietest moments."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 01:34:24 PM »

you aren't allowed to say anything unless you are already in law school.  Sorry.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 01:51:33 PM »

you aren't allowed to say anything unless you are already in law school.  Sorry.

Oh, now be nice.  This is the guy who only got in one place, and then withdrew from there.  I can sympathize with that.
I don't think I would have broadcast that sort of thing to the internet, but hey, sometimes people get tough breaks.

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 02:04:03 PM »

Coulda sworn this was the prelaw board, and the general section at that.  Wouldnt have posted over here if they hadnt changed the way new posts update.

Oh, now be nice.  This is the guy who only got in one place, and then withdrew from there.  I can sympathize with that.
I don't think I would have broadcast that sort of thing to the internet, but hey, sometimes people get tough breaks.

Thanks.  Not ashamed though, I'll apply again, and anything to help another cycles applicants right