Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 150K -200K Debt Club...Anyone?  (Read 9512 times)

Pacavelli

• Ain't nothin to it, gangsta rap made me do it.
    • View Profile
150K -200K Debt Club...Anyone?
« on: June 11, 2008, 12:44:32 PM »
Ugly, I know!  I am carefully considering my options and this is a possibility.  Is this is relevant for other students? If so, how are you approaching the situation?  Debt Club = 3 years of law + undergrad.

If this has been posted somewhere else on the board, please paste the link.  Thanks!
Stereotypes of a black male misunderstood, but it's still all good.
-Christopher Wallace

washdc23

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 150K -200K Debt Club...Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 01:30:20 PM »
If I go to UCLA, I'll be in that club. UGh

TimMitchell

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 01:35:35 PM »
Holy jesus

*devo*

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 01:38:58 PM »
This is absolutely going to be the case for me if I go to a T14 (or any private school, but I would only consider this kind of serious debt for a T14). My only other options are lesser ranked schools with a scholarship or my state schools.  I will graduate from undergrad with about $30K in debt.

Pacavelli

• Ain't nothin to it, gangsta rap made me do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 02:43:19 PM »
Holy jesus
I know Tim, that's exactly how I feel. 

This is absolutely going to be the case for me if I go to a T14 (or any private school, but I would only consider this kind of serious debt for a T14). My only other options are lesser ranked schools with a scholarship or my state schools.  I will graduate from undergrad with about $30K in debt.

I graduated from undergrad with 33K in debt, and I am considering attending a private school, out of state.  I was offered a full scholarship at a T-4 institution, but I fear the possiblity of scarce job opportunities.  This sucks!

Why would you only consider this kind of debt for a T14?  J/W
Stereotypes of a black male misunderstood, but it's still all good.
-Christopher Wallace

jd2bee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 02:57:12 PM »
Yup, me too.  $35 or so from Ugrad, and then law school.

*devo*

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 03:11:07 PM »
I graduated from undergrad with 33K in debt, and I am considering attending a private school, out of state.  I was offered a full scholarship at a T-4 institution, but I fear the possiblity of scarce job opportunities.  This sucks!

Why would you only consider this kind of debt for a T14?  J/W

I plan on living and working in Phoenix, AZ (a secondary market) and the added prestige and job opportunities of a 20-35 ranked school do not seem worth the $100K+ in debt.  If I do not get into a T14 I will most likely attend U of A, which is ranked #38 and places reasonably well within AZ.

If I wasn't positive I would live in Phoenix then I might try for a more national school, but as of now it is an "all or nothing" mentality for me (T14 or state school).

nike6075

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 03:22:24 PM »

Depending on what you do over the summers, you probably won't qualify for this club.  (That is, you'll be over 200K in debt).
dont worry guys, i had lotsof drinks, and now i feel better. hth.

*devo*

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 03:25:45 PM »

Depending on what you do over the summers, you probably won't qualify for this club.  (That is, you'll be over 200K in debt).

The poster will be attending Harvard so there is less risk with the $200K+ as far as earning potential.  Still, this situation scares me!

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 04:04:10 PM »
I'll be close. Depending on what happens with tuition and such over the next 3 years, I'll wrap up with somewhere between $100-140k in debt. Small price to pay to be a Seminole. ;)

Now, if I can actually get a semi-decent summer gig or two and don't piss through all of my loan money, that could be a lot less. But I'm not counting on it.

Either way, I think our collective debts should be pretty easy to service over 10 years. Even using conservative numbers, I should be able to pay mine off in 5-7 years while still living comfortably by my standards.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.