Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Seeking advice: Tanked Civil Procedure, any good way to be proactive?  (Read 2488 times)

OConnorScribe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
So while I did well in all my other courses this year (B or higher), I tanked both Civ Pro I and Civ Pro II (yes, my school splits it into two semesters). Got C+ and then C-. The C- is particularly mortifying, since 1. I learned a hell of a lot from my school's best professor and worked really hard and 2. C- just LOOKS and FEELS like a dumb-ass grade, doesn't it? :-[ A lot of it had to with testing format that speaks to weaknesses of mine(convuluted multiple choice and restricted-word short answer), but some of it probably had to do with my comfort working on test time with the rules, i.e. focus. This worries me, as the NY bar exam, from what I understand, draws on the same kinds of questions. I'm not one to stew in my tragedies, no matter how much they hurt.

So to 2Ls, 3Ls and grads on this board, what do you think I can do to make the best out of repairing my evident weakness with civ pro? Are there exercises or research techniques or courses I can take/use? Do I just need to get into court and much as possible (ex: I'll be doing a family court externship and, hopefully, moot court in the fall)? Should I start studying the Federal Rules of Evidence now (yeah, sounds ridiculous, but evidence seems pretty tied to civ pro)?

On a related subject, I'd like to do my own writing and research projects, even though I won't be doing LR (decided not to try write-on; my school ranks third tier, and while it's highly regarded locally, I don't see the advantage of doing LR over gaining real-world experience and skill-building, especially since I''ll likely only ever piss on BigLaw's doors at closing time or work there as a janitor). Are there good outlets for publishing independent student works? And is that a good way to build the skills I need to build upon?

Thanks. It's hard living with the knowledge that this one particular area has screwed me, especially since I've never gotten grades like that before now. At least I'm at 3.0 and am in the top 40% and have a good internship at a big IP player. Plus, there's always the 10-year career I left behind ... or hoped to, anyway. So looking forward now. Any advice would be appreciated. Sorry if this is long-winded ...   

Pace '10

lawzombie

• View Profile
Sometimes schools offer a course in civil procedure tailored to your state.  You should see if they offer a course like that.

huhwhat

• View Profile
You really screwed that up.  Civ Pro sucks, man.  Whatever.  It's time to 12(b)(6) your legal career.

talkshowhost

• View Profile
    • Email
I don't mean to sound rude, but you might want to reconsider a career as an attorney.  Civ Pro is probably the most important course you will take in law school, and a C average in that course at a third tier school to me is indicative of a very low aptitude for the law -- especially if you claim to have studied hard.

Lampshade Punk

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Even in the quietest moments."
    • View Profile
I don't mean to sound rude, but you might want to reconsider a career as an attorney.  Civ Pro is probably the most important course you will take in law school, and a C average in that course at a third tier school to me is indicative of a very low aptitude for the law -- especially if you claim to have studied hard.

are you kidding me?  HA get real. 

nocomply

• View Profile

What bull!  The above post is nonsense!

Yes, Civil Procedure is one of the most important courses offered - however, one's knowledge in that area is not necessarily reflected in one's grade.  To the poster - don't get bummed out about it.  Go on with you life, don't think more about it. 

I'd also argue that Legal Research and Writing courses are THE most important classes a law student can take.  Period.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!

On a related subject, I'd like to do my own writing and research projects, even though I won't be doing LR (decided not to try write-on; my school ranks third tier, and while it's highly regarded locally, I don't see the advantage of doing LR over gaining real-world experience and skill-building, especially since I''ll likely only ever piss on BigLaw's doors at closing time or work there as a janitor). Are there good outlets for publishing independent student works? And is that a good way to build the skills I need to build upon?

The best way to start writing/publishing outside of  the main LR would be to join a secondary journal at your school. At least at my school the secondary journals have more writing opportunities for staff other than your note so you can get published more often.  Iíve averaged 2 publications per semester, usually one small one like a book note and a longer one like a case note.

Next I would seek out a professor and subject you like and see if you can do a directed research project. I just finished doing this, 3 credits for researching, drafting and writing original scholarship on a subject that interested me. Now that its done Iím working on getting it published.

Finally take paper/seminar courses whenever you can, it often does not take much work to turn a seminar paper into a law review article. Research topical journals that cover your subject matter and see which ones publish students works. Use ExpressO to make your submissions. You will have to make a lot to get a publication, but its worth doing it. Also donít forget about local publications, bar associations newsletters, or ABA newsletters, those are good places to try and publish shorter but timely works.

Good luck.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

ouffha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
You really screwed that up.  Civ Pro sucks, man.  Whatever.  It's time to 12(b)(6) your legal career.

hahahaha! that's hilarious..:)

ouffha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email

You don't mean to but you did. You reflected a low aptitude of your own, too.

OConnorScribe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email

That makes my week ... thanks for lightening things up. Though maybe a 12(b)(1) would be better ... NOT my best subject matter.  ;D

Pace '10