Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any thoughts on University of Arkansas at Little Rock?  (Read 1054 times)

RockinJay

• View Profile
Any thoughts on University of Arkansas at Little Rock?
« on: June 10, 2008, 11:13:50 AM »
Anyone know of any juicy info. at UALR?  It's one of my wait lists and although it's T3 I like the school.  DIRT CHEAP TOO.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Any thoughts on University of Arkansas?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 04:15:30 PM »
I looked at UALR for a little while and thought it looked pretty decent as long as you don't mind staying in Arkansas. Points about it in no particular order of importance:

It seems to be a bit commuter/non-trad heavy.

The building that the school is in looks really good.

It seems slightly easier to get into than Fayetteville.

Fayetteville will have more street cred with the common man and maybe slightly better employment prospects outside of the state, but the two schools seem to be pretty equal within the state.

Being in the state capitol is always a plus.

The resident tuition is awesome.

It's certainly not a traditional university.

The athletics may well bore you to sleep.

What turned me off about UALR is that it actually reminds me of my undergrad school in a lot of ways, but for all of the wrong reasons (smallish, lots of commuters/non-trads, second fiddle in the system). However, if those things don't bother you, the school seems perfectly fine.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

SEC_2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 10:04:08 PM »
I'm starting at Fayetteville this Fall, so I can tell you a lot about THAT U of Arkansas, but not much about UALR. I will say though, like the above poster said, it does seem like Fayetteville is ranked a bit higher and may be tougher to get into but I think they both carry equal reputation weight within the state. Maybe if you wanted specifically to work in NW Arkansas (newer, affluent, growing region of the state) going to Fayetteville would help just due to contacts. But at the same time, most of the "big" firms in the state are based in Little Rock and sometimes have satellite offices in NW Ark. So both have their advantages and are good schools in my opinion as long as you aren't BigLaw or bust.

The min difference IMO is the atmosphere. U of A-Fayetteville is your ultimate college town and is a GREAT place to live. While I've only visited LR, I don't get the same impression.

RockinJay

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 11:32:26 AM »
I am not worried about landing a job (how many students can say that I guess?) I have worked for the same partner at a Big Law firm here in Washington, DC for over 5 years, and she has pretty much guaranteed me a slot for the summers and when I graduate.  The hiring committee here also loves me, as well as the executive partners.

I am truly in a fortunate position and that is why I am not sweating about T14 schools (not like I can get in anyway).  I just want to go to a school that people have heard of, decent rep, NOT EXPENSIVE (hence, Arkansas) and enjoy the experience while learning as much as possible.

Oh yeah, I did not apply to any schools here in the DC area because I just wanted to leave for a few years.  I love the firm I work for but not too excited about this city.

wtracing

• Sr. Citizen
  • Roll Angry Wave!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 07:56:20 PM »
OP: Are you from Arkansas? I am from the midwest and lived in Little Rock for a little under a year.  Needless to say, there is a reason I promptly left.  No offense to Arkansas folks (I agree Fayetteville and NW Arkansas is pretty nice, its a beautiful drive at least) but the place is just odd.  If you're looking for cheap places to attend school (this is what makes me think you probably are in-state?) you might look around elsewhere if you have a job lined up.
Tulane Class of 2011

RockinJay

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 10:44:44 PM »
No, I am technically a Florida resident but living in Washington, DC for the summer as I am working for this partner as a consultant.  UALR's out of state tuition is very cheap and I believe I can then qualify for in-state status for the 2nd and 3rd year.  I have also been wait listed by Florida International University and accepted by Florida A&M University (not excited about that school).  I am not a minority, just looking for cheap tuition.  The reason why I am considering Arkansas over the other 2 schools in Florida is because everyone has heard of the University of Arkansas, regardless of it's ranking and what not.

I am planning to visit the school soon but airfare is crazy :-)

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 12:12:17 AM »
No, I am technically a Florida resident but living in Washington, DC for the summer as I am working for this partner as a consultant.  UALR's out of state tuition is very cheap and I believe I can then qualify for in-state status for the 2nd and 3rd year.  I have also been wait listed by Florida International University and accepted by Florida A&M University (not excited about that school).  I am not a minority, just looking for cheap tuition.  The reason why I am considering Arkansas over the other 2 schools in Florida is because everyone has heard of the University of Arkansas, regardless of it's ranking and what not.

I am planning to visit the school soon but airfare is crazy :-)

Given your options, definitely UALR.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

mommylawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 10:49:36 AM »
I graduated from UA - Fayetteville in 2002.  I LOVED Fayetteville.  I was an Atlanta, Georgia native, and was accepted to Georgia State University, along with schools in Alabama, Florida, and South Carolina.  However, I chose Fayetteville and haven't regretted it for a day.

Since I graduated, the school (at least it's square footage) has doubled in size, the professors there are well known throughout the state, and the school has a good reputation outside the state - at least in the Southeast, since that's my area of knowledge. 

While in law school, I was able to pursue many areas of study - not only with coursework, but with a federal judicial internship, law school organizations, PAID research work for 2 professors, and other work - working at a local law firm and working in the law library.  I wore many hats while a law student, but never felt like I was doing too much.

After law school, my husband (a fellow law student I met on our first day of law school) and I moved back to Georgia, where I got a job as a judicial law clerk for 3 years.  I'm in private practice now and loving every minute of it.  And, I believe a lot of that is due to the education and experience I got in Fayetteville.

Good luck with all of your law school endeavors!

RockinJay

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 10:51:38 AM »
Mommylawyer,

Sounds like an awesome experience and I appreciate your contribution but I am referring to the University of Arkansas at Little Rock :-)  Thanks again though!