Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any Advice/ Tips on Passage A/ Passage B sections on RC  (Read 352 times)

wvu10is

• View Profile
Any Advice/ Tips on Passage A/ Passage B sections on RC
« on: June 09, 2008, 08:58:57 AM »
It seems these passages are longer, does anyone have a certain strategies in attacking RC with these types of passages. I have been studying past tests that do not have these type of passages.

Top Cat

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ky. born, Ky. bred... when I die, I'll be Ky. dead
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
Re: Any Advice/ Tips on Passage A/ Passage B sections on RC
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 10:32:00 AM »
I haven't been able to get my hands on many of the comparison questions, but the ones that I have, I kind of treat like a hybrid between reading and logical reasoning.  If you notice, they are often either arguments for a similar point or opposing points; therefore, you have to figure out what they are saying and go from there (as you would in a logical reasoning question with two people discussing a point).

That being said, I have little experience with these questions- for those of you with more experience/ knowledge, I am very interested in seeing what you have to say.
University of Kentucky 1L

LSN

fsohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 10:43:07 AM »
I took the October 07 LSAT, which was the first to have the parallel reading questions.  I'd say not to stress. If you are solid on RC in general, you will do fine on the parallels.  Just be sure to underline key terms if you are prone to forgetting them.

Kels

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 12:01:24 PM »
I think the best way to read these passages is to read them just like you would a Point of Issue or Point of Agreement/Disagreement LR question. Passage A you just read like you would any other passage (i.e what is the main point and on what basis does the author arrive at his/her conclusion). This difference comes in when you read passage B, in which you have to be on the look out for points(implicit or explicit) that B seems to agree and/or disagree with A.