Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT superstitions  (Read 824 times)

HYSHopeful

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LawSchooli.com
    • Email
LSAT superstitions
« on: June 09, 2008, 02:41:35 AM »
I'm not a superstitious guy, but LSAT prep has got me developing some very odd superstitions:

1) I take every PT (and intend to take the real test) in the same shirt that I first broke the 170s while wearing. It happened to be a vintage Harvard tee, which I originally purchased on eBay as a motivational aid to inspire me to do well on the LSAT in the first place.

2) I never use the same pencil on more than one test, and always use a fresh pencil to begin each AR section. While this habit is admittedly founded in superstition, it nevertheless has proven to be utilitarian as well (although I am acquiring a large collection of dull pencils in my desk).

3) I purchased a new analog watch specifically for the LSAT a couple of weeks ago. During the first test that I took using the new watch, I wore it on my wrist... I scored around 4 points below what I had been averaging over the previous five or six PT's (with a standard deviation of around 1 point)... I have never worn the watch again.

4) I ate chineese food yesterday and my fortune cookie read:

"You will pass a difficult test that will make you happier.
Lucky # 10, 23, 32, 33, 40, 43
Learn Chinese: Dan-Gao, [Chinese characters], Cake"

It was clear enough to me what 'test' the cookie was referring to, so I began to read further into it: Adding my "lucky numbers" yields 181. Which... is close enough to 180 to be symbolic of the LSAT (at least when viewed by an LSAT-addled mind). In fact, I now think of an LSAT score of "181" in much the same way that I am giving "110%" effort to achieve as high a score as possible. I also am happy to know that the LSAT will be "cake."

5) I generally wear flip-flops in the summer, but tonight I happened to be wearing socks while taking PT 39. I was finally able to get over a three week long plateau and score a 176. I doubt that I will ever test sock-less again.

Does anyone else have any LSAT superstitions?

I honestly believe that they are helpful (not becuase of any magical LSAT-aiding power inherent in my shirt or socks, but simply because I've created a routine around taking an LSAT which is familiar and comfortable for me. In addition, whenever I put on that shirt now, I begin to mentally prepare myself to think in the specific way which is required by the LSAT.)

limegreen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: LSAT superstitions
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 10:00:14 AM »

4) I ate chineese food yesterday and my fortune cookie read:

"You will pass a difficult test that will make you happier.
Lucky # 10, 23, 32, 33, 40, 43
Learn Chinese: Dan-Gao, [Chinese characters], Cake"

It was clear enough to me what 'test' the cookie was referring to, so I began to read further into it: Adding my "lucky numbers" yields 181. Which... is close enough to 180 to be symbolic of the LSAT (at least when viewed by an LSAT-addled mind). In fact, I now think of an LSAT score of "181" in much the same way that I am giving "110%" effort to achieve as high a score as possible. I also am happy to know that the LSAT will be "cake."

I recently got one that said "Practice makes perfect".  The numbers added up to 184.  After I added the numbers up I felt a little crazy.

I don't think I have any real superstitions though, I don't wear the same clothes or anything.  I use the same pencil most of the time but that's because I'm too lazy to find another one.

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 10:15:32 AM »
Damn, I need to eat more Chinese food apparently.
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

Richard B. Riddick

• Going for the sweet spot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 12:02:10 PM »
OP, you're almost as superstitious as a baseball player.  I think we could be friends.
Me?  I'm just passing through...

pinagham

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 10:14:45 PM »

2) I never use the same pencil on more than one test, and always use a fresh pencil to begin each AR section. While this habit is admittedly founded in superstition, it nevertheless has proven to be utilitarian as well (although I am acquiring a large collection of dull pencils in my desk).

I use a freshly sharpened pencil for each section and I use the shortest pencil I have for the AR section.  I like Dixon Ticonderogas, I tried five or so different kinds before I settled on those. 

I think having a solid routine helps, it's less time you spend thinking about those things.  good luck!