Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bar Exam Study + 40 hour work week = H E L L  (Read 9206 times)

NoUsername

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Bar Exam Study + 40 hour work week = H E L L
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 10:59:31 PM »
7 sets of how many questions?

My schedule tells me to do sets of 100, but I haven't been doing that.  I am doing just enough to get the hang of it, and then moving on. 

My plan is to get through the substance having done a few practice questions, but with three weeks left over to kill to do an insane amount of practice questions.  I am going to drop all work with three weeks to go, and do an ungodly amount of review and practice questions. 

NoUsername

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 11:03:01 PM »
I'm taking Virginia. 

I find the barbri materials to be ok.  The problem I have is there is very little guidance on what you need to study.  I go to lecture, get 60 plus pages of notes for a subject, then I am told to weed out the "unnecessary" items.  These will be my lovely study notes.  Really?  How much should I take out?  Is 15 pages of outline too little or too much for the 80 pages of handout notes from class?  It is aggravating considering the amount of money we paid for this course.  But, if I pass, I am sure I will sing their praises.  Right now, I am just in bitching mode.

Kilroy, I am taking Virginia too.

Like I said, I did another course, not Barbri.  I am feeling very comfortable on MBE stuff and not so great about the virginia stuff, which is crappy considering the 60/40 split.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 07:17:28 AM »
7 sets of how many questions?

My schedule tells me to do sets of 100, but I haven't been doing that.  I am doing just enough to get the hang of it, and then moving on. 

My plan is to get through the substance having done a few practice questions, but with three weeks left over to kill to do an insane amount of practice questions.  I am going to drop all work with three weeks to go, and do an ungodly amount of review and practice questions. 

7 sets of 17 or 18 questions, so not a lot.   :-[  I probably should be doing more, and am beginning to feel like a slacker for not doing essays.

But your approach is pretty much my approach.  For the next 3 weeks, we're still covering a lot of substantive stuff in my BarBri class, doing the recommended "review" set of questions, and then for July, when substantive classes are pretty much over, really ramping up the essays and MBE practice.

For me, if I was doing a ton of essays and MBEs now, and then tried to ramp things up in July, I'd just get burnt out.

Anyways, if you're doing alright with the MBE stuff, I'm sure you'll be fine.  I find myself being completely comfortable with MBE topics, and just unfamiliar w/ my state stuff.  I think it will just take a bit longer for that stuff to gel.

And good luck surviving until you can take time off work!

StrictlyLiable

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 10:17:21 AM »
I'm doing Bar/Bri self study. I am so behind on my schedule already, its not even funny. Keeping up with the lecturer schedule is the hardest, because it takes me an hour or two to read both the MS outline and the PA outline and then condense the two into a single outline for myself (The process of making an outline allows me to memorize the material). It took me nearly a week to do evidence and criminal law. So, now I am way behind. This blows.

NoUsername

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 03:15:52 PM »
Here is one thing I find unsettling:

The Bar Examiners in VA don't send you anything until July; no instructions, no confirmation of complete application, nothing.  I sent my application in certified mail, and with a return post card which they mailed back to me, so I know they received it.  But I still wish I could recieve something that says "you are scheduled to take the exam on July 28 and 29..."

I mean, we are talking about an administrative branch of the government.  I could completely see how someone could recieve a letter in July, after studying for two months, that says: "your application was stapled instead of paperclipped; accordingly your application has been rejected."

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 05:09:40 PM »
I'm doing Bar/Bri self study. I am so behind on my schedule already, its not even funny. Keeping up with the lecturer schedule is the hardest, because it takes me an hour or two to read both the MS outline and the PA outline and then condense the two into a single outline for myself (The process of making an outline allows me to memorize the material). It took me nearly a week to do evidence and criminal law. So, now I am way behind. This blows.

The ONLY consistent advice I've gotten from people that have taken the bar in the last few years (at least in GA) is to absolutely DO NOT try to stick to the BarBri schedule.  It's completely inhuman, and if you do, you'll completely burn out by the time the bar rolls around.

For me, I find the big outlines completely worthless - there's no way in hell I'd EVER remember ALL of that friggen material.  I'm pretty much working solely off the lecture handouts/workbook that I do in the lectures, and then I go to conviser to review after class - I focus mostly on the study/exam tips and the charts, and skim over the text.  I also look at the state law distinctions.

Don't stress yourself out for not staying on the BarBri schedule - seriously, 12 hours a day, every day for 2 months is grueling, and I have yet to find anyone who was able to maintain that schedule.

NoUsername

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2008, 06:25:02 PM »
My brain is full.  I am trying to learn MBE property, and nothing is sticking.  Its all in one ear and out the other.

unlvcrjchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2008, 01:54:46 AM »
Thank GOODNESS for this thread!  I thought I was the ONLY one who was having trouble focusing and actually writing out the practice essays.  I've written 3-4 essays, but I don't think my writing them is helping me learn the substantive law, despite what BarBri says.  Therefore, I'm mostly now just reading the essays and taking mental notes of the issues, and then I read the sample answers.  I find that I'm learning the substantive law MUCH better doing this, and I'm only studying 3 hours a day outside of the 3.5-hour BarBri lectures. 

One thing's for sure:  I cannot imagine having to work while studying for the bar, too.  So, my hat's off to all of you who ARE working during this extremely stressful time.  Good luck to you...

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2008, 11:26:06 AM »

The ONLY consistent advice I've gotten from people that have taken the bar in the last few years (at least in GA) is to absolutely DO NOT try to stick to the BarBri schedule.  It's completely inhuman, and if you do, you'll completely burn out by the time the bar rolls around.

For me, I find the big outlines completely worthless - there's no way in hell I'd EVER remember ALL of that friggen material.  I'm pretty much working solely off the lecture handouts/workbook that I do in the lectures, and then I go to conviser to review after class - I focus mostly on the study/exam tips and the charts, and skim over the text.  I also look at the state law distinctions.

Don't stress yourself out for not staying on the BarBri schedule - seriously, 12 hours a day, every day for 2 months is grueling, and I have yet to find anyone who was able to maintain that schedule.

I'm doing NJ and PA, and basically we have 3-4 essays assigned each day, which according to the guide, should take 4 hours. I've been trying to make outlines of how I would answer the question and compare it to the model answer. Ultimately, I feel like I'm not doing great on the multiple choice b/c I'm not spending enough time actually studying the material and instead am focusing on trying to finish all the assigned work.

Do you think its wise for me to cut out doing a few essay problems?

NoUsername

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2008, 12:44:37 PM »
I  @ # ! * I N G Hate the rule against perpetuities!!!!!