Law School Discussion

Bar Exam Study + 40 hour work week = H E L L

Re: Bar Exam Study + 40 hour work week = H E L L
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2008, 11:17:03 PM »
I'm taking NY and NJ...

Does anyone have the feeling that the actual bar exam won't be as hard as Barbri's practice MBE and essay questions?

I remember studying for the MPRE through Barbri's lecture, review book, and practice questions and thinking "there is no way I'm going to pass this thing." When I took the MPRE in Aug 07, it seemed so much easier than the practice questions and, like most people I know, I ended up scoring well above every state's minimum passing score. Perhaps the bar exam will prove to be a similar experience...

I've heard from people that Barbri is a big "psych-out" of sorts, and that PMBR is more "realistic" with their expectations in regards to student workload. I felt the same way about the MPRE as well. I kinda half studied the material for the MPRE and scored a 100. While I was taking the Barbri practice tests for the MPRE, I was getting just enough questions correct for a passing score.

At this point, I'm extremely discouraged with my performance on practice essays and multiple choice quesitons. I'm probably averaging about a 10/18 on the individual MBE sets for pretty much every topic (better in evidence, worse in torts), and have scored a 2.6/6 and a 10.5/20 for my NJ and PA graded essays, well below the passing mark. People who have taken the bar keep telling me that you hit a point where everything just "clicks"...unfortunately I haven't hit that point yet. Maybe I should stop dicking around on this site.

I too am discouraged about my performance on my MBE practice sets.  I'm mostly getting 11/18 correct, which is approx 65% correct.  Although that is considered just passing, I don't want to be "just passing."  I want to be getting 70% correct.  Regarding my graded essays, I've only received one of them back, and the one I did get back, I failed but just barely (by 3 points; got a 72 but you need a 75).  The worst part about the comment on the essay?  It said "although you have a good grasp of substantive law, your organization needs work."  In other words, even if you KNOW the law, you can still fail the essays!  Am I the only one who is disconcerted by this?  Since when is organization more important than actually knowing the damn law?  Oy vey...

jd06

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2008, 01:13:20 PM »
Hey unlv -  I wouldn't necessarily take the Bar Bri graders words as gospel.  They've got the same degree as you do and they've likely passed exactly one more bar exam than you have.  You'll be an "expert" too come August.  I also think they're hired to be ultra-critical.  I "failed" multiple Bar Bri exams and passed the CA bar on the first attempt.  I found comparing my essays to the model answers to be a much better indicia of my performance...

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2008, 02:48:22 PM »
With 5 weeks to go till the bar (right?), I wouldn't be too discouraged by the MBE practice sets. First, I think the MBE practice questions were generally harder than the real exam. Secon, the key at this point is were your trending, rather than were you are at. As long as your scores generally improve as you go on, you're fine. I was at 50% for a while and till did much better than I had too on the MBE.

mqt

• cellar door
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2008, 04:30:52 PM »
My personal opinion is that Barbri scares you so that you'll shell out that extra $200 for their essay advantage course.  Whatever. I'm not biting.  Also, a difficult thing for most people to conceptualize is that passing the bar exam is not the same thing as doing well in a law school class.  You either pass it or you don't....it matters not whether you scored in the top 10%. 

I'm doing about 20 MBE questions a day at this point, and nothing else (besides actually showing up at the barbri lectures).  Starting next week, I'm going to start going over an essay or two every few days and bump up my MBE to 30-40, and progressively increase from there.  And I find that it's good to randomize the questions so that the topics are mixed (I use the computer program that Barbri has).

But, yeah, it's pretty depressing to only get 50% of the barbri questions right.  I"m starting to get 60-65% correct now, so I feel like I am improving.   

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2008, 05:57:33 PM »
I haven't done any practice essays yet.  I am trying to get through the substance with three weeks left to go, and then do essays.  I do MBE questions after I finish that topic, and I have been passing comfortably, but I don't feel like its accurate since I just finished that subject and all the questions are segregated.  I think I may score lower when its six subjects at once.

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2008, 09:44:18 PM »
With 5 weeks to go till the bar (right?), I wouldn't be too discouraged by the MBE practice sets. First, I think the MBE practice questions were generally harder than the real exam. Secon, the key at this point is were your trending, rather than were you are at. As long as your scores generally improve as you go on, you're fine. I was at 50% for a while and till did much better than I had too on the MBE.

Actually, I have a little more than 6 weeks left until the bar, although I should say I have only 5 weeks, since the last week before the bar, I'm going out of town to actually have fun for the first time in 4 years (since law school started).  I must say that I like the Essay Advantage course a lot: their advice on structuring your essay is top notch and they tell you what specific areas in each subject are ALWAYS tested, as well as those subjects that are rarely or never tested.  I find this extremely useful, for it is simply impossible to memorize EVERYTHING you need to know in detail...

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2008, 09:21:56 PM »
Tag, as I was ready to blow my brains out prior to this thread.

« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2008, 11:32:03 AM »
Is there any scientific phenomenon where your brain ceases to work because you have tried to absorb too much information?  Kind of like blacking out from too much alcohol?

ouffha

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2008, 11:40:09 AM »
1+1=2-1+2-1+5+7-6+3 to the power suffolk is loyola to mary

ouffha

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2008, 11:44:47 AM »
He has been happily married for 50 years. He really is very loyola to her.