Law School Discussion

Bar Exam Study + 40 hour work week = H E L L

Bar Exam Study + 40 hour work week = H E L L
« on: June 08, 2008, 03:20:59 PM »
Anyone else doing this?  Or studying for the bar period?  I need someone to commiserate with.

I a little less that half way done with the substance, with three weeks left at the end to review and do practice tests.  But I have been pulling 10-15 hour days for two weeks, not sure if I can keep up this schedule.

Thanks.

Re: Bar Exam Study + 40 hour work week = H E L L
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 03:44:22 PM »
I thought most firms don't have you start until long after the Bar is done? It doesn't seem like the best idea to work and do bar review at the same time, unless you can fit in a ton of studying on weekends. Any way you can get some time off work?

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 04:15:32 PM »
I am working for the .gov right now, and I haven't told my supervisor that I am even taking the Bar.  It would be a strong hint that I might not stick around.

The plus side is that my job isn't at all contingent on passing.

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 04:27:36 PM »
Oh god...you poor individual.  I'm studying for the bar now; I think I'm nearing the halfway point for BarBri, and I'll have about 2 1/2 or 3 weeks before the exam to study.  I hate it, but can't imagine what studying AND working is like.  It's bad enough when studying for the Bar essentially IS your job.

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 05:43:26 PM »
Did you do Barbri's home study?  I just couldn't afford that.  They quoted me $4600 up front, then $500 back when I return the Ipod.  I ended up buying "The Study Group" home study course.  Its 53 substantive assignments, which they said would take 3-6 hours a piece.  For me its taking 6-10 hours a piece, mainly because I am taking such meticulous notes.

Today I have been studying for about 5 hours, and I'm only half way done with the assignment. 

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 06:09:13 PM »
Barbri sucks!  I think I have 5 weeks left, then 2 weeks of study.  I hate every moment of it.  3 to 4 hours everday in lecture, and then 5 to 7 after that doing notes and practice problems.  Not to mention the 7 hours I have spent this weekend going over my overly long notes.  This sucks!  I can't imagine trying to work at the same time.

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 06:28:51 PM »
I agree that barbri sucks.  I've been pretty underwhelmed by their state essay testing booklet which seems to have "model" answers that are completely wrong. Combine that with the bad customer service and I oftentimes wonder what I am paying $2,600 for. 

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 06:37:47 PM »
Well, if it makes you feel better I haven't done a single practice essay yet.

I would feel a lot better if I had all day every day to work on this. 

What states are you all taking?

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 07:35:01 PM »
I'm taking Virginia. 

I find the barbri materials to be ok.  The problem I have is there is very little guidance on what you need to study.  I go to lecture, get 60 plus pages of notes for a subject, then I am told to weed out the "unnecessary" items.  These will be my lovely study notes.  Really?  How much should I take out?  Is 15 pages of outline too little or too much for the 80 pages of handout notes from class?  It is aggravating considering the amount of money we paid for this course.  But, if I pass, I am sure I will sing their praises.  Right now, I am just in bitching mode.

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 07:46:45 PM »
I haven't done a single essay yet really, and have done  maybe 7 or so sets of the MBE questions in specific subjects.