Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Summer Prep  (Read 7395 times)

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Prep
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2008, 04:18:46 PM »
Most professors choose to use casebooks and then pick and choose which cases to assign you to read based on their view of the law and how they teach the class.

Right, but many of the basic courses are going to cover similar material.  If one has the professor's syllabi from previous semesters, one probably has a reasonable idea of what will be covered. 

Equating "summer prep with impersonal commercial aids" with "reading the cases and materials assigned by YOUR professor" is very inaccurate and borders on disagreeing for no other reason than to disagree.

I did not equate the two.  I explained that current students have indicated that they read supplements prior to reading their casebook because the cases do not explain the black letter law in a manner that they find helpful.  My question revolves around the use of supplements prior to reading the case.  Why would it matter if you use a supplement one month, one week, or one day prior to reading the case or do you think that using a supplement prior to reading the case is bad altogether? 

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2008, 04:31:52 PM »
FWIW, I think figuring things out from the casebook is an important part of the whole process.  I don't start using supplements (and I only use treatises/hornbooks because E&Es are dumbed down and thus not helpful for complex exams) until about 3 weeks out from the exam.

That's probably why I enjoy reading them, they are dumbed down. =)  Thanks for explaining your perspective on using supplements like E&E's, it makes sense.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2008, 05:21:37 PM »
FWIW, I think figuring things out from the casebook is an important part of the whole process.  I don't start using supplements (and I only use treatises/hornbooks because E&Es are dumbed down and thus not helpful for complex exams) until about 3 weeks out from the exam.

There is really no point in stressing out about it over the summer.  The people who will "get it" first year (I'm not necessarily talking about the material) are going to "get it" and an E&E over the summer isn't going to help make you one of the students that "gets it." 

I've recommended the same two books - and only two books - for summer prep over and over again that may help you "get it."  The other thing you can do is become educated about the job process and start drafting cover letters and researching firms. 

More work doesn't necessarily mean better grades.  Knowing more on day 1 doesn't mean better grades.  I got a 3.9 in the class I didn't bother making an outline for.

I agree with Yellow's entire post here.  I think most of the time, the BLL can be found in the case.  The courts usually don't hide it.  I don't think I'm necessarily better at reading than most people, yet I more often than not have no problem finding the rule of law a court applies in a case.  (big exception is often Con Law cases - the Supreme Court often doesn't know what it's doing, and even if it does, I think they like to "hear themselves talk" when they write, so rules can get buried.)

I also think that finding the law within the cases is a very important part of the whole process of school - I mean, when a senior partner gives you something to research or a client comes in with a problem, you may be able to go to a practice guide or something and get some guidance, but a judge may not give a damn what Corbin says on Contracts - a judge wants to know what the rule of law is in YOUR jurisdiction, and you find that by reading the cases.

Like Yellow, I also used supplements almost solely in exam prep and review, after you know what your professor thinks the law is.  When I used them outside of/before exam prep, I would do so AFTER class if I was not getting something. 

chydiva82

• Did God take permission from U when he created ME?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2008, 10:02:15 AM »

There is really no point in stressing out about it over the summer.  The people who will "get it" first year (I'm not necessarily talking about the material) are going to "get it" and an E&E over the summer isn't going to help make you one of the students that "gets it." 

I've recommended the same two books - and only two books - for summer prep over and over again that may help you "get it."  The other thing you can do is become educated about the job process and start drafting cover letters and researching firms. 

More work doesn't necessarily mean better grades.  Knowing more on day 1 doesn't mean better grades.  I got a 3.9 in the class I didn't bother making an outline for.

See, what is this "get it"?  I'm frustrated by the mystification.  How can you get something and not be able to explain it to someone else? 

This may be incorrect but I believe Yellow is referring to "getting" how to take a law school exam. Most people will know the BLL back and forth or at least understand rules and exceptions to some degree. However, everyone will not know how to take an exam tailored to what their individual professors are looking for. Also, some folks will "get" how to study smart WAY before others finally catch on.

boombasticlady

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2008, 06:03:30 PM »
hello everyone i have been assigned to read Law School without fear by Helene and Marshall Shapo for orientation i was wondering where i can find this book. I tried to find it in the library but they wont let me take it out. I also tried Barnes and Noble and was informed that it was out of print and that i should call the publisher which I did but i cant get a hold of anyone. Basically for those who have read this where did you find this book? Thank you in advance

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile

Pauly680

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2008, 08:28:35 AM »
Seriously??  Is this your first time on the interwebs?

half.com:  http://search.half.ebay.com/law-school-without-fear_W0QQmZbooks

amazon.com:  http://www.amazon.com/Law-School-Without-Fear-Strategies/dp/1587781875/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1214518264&sr=8-1

There is no need for that kind of tone when someone asks a question ! Is the sarcasm really necessary ?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2008, 10:11:47 AM »
Yes, for me, personally, sarcasm is necessary when amazon.com is one of the most well-known websites in the world for buying books (and everything else), and google will find pretty much ANYTHING for you.

And I think you need a thicker skin.  My prefacing comment really wasn't all that nasty (although you seem to think so), and at least I helped you.  There are some posters here who would have just as simply left a worse comment on being completely ignorant of the internet or simply posted a link to google.  Get over it.

HTH

Pauly680

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2008, 03:08:30 PM »
I didnt think your sarcasm towards that particular poster was overtly nasty , I just think it was out of line . Amazon and Google will find most things for you , however asking where to find an out of print law school prep book on a website about law school,filled with Law and Pre-Law students , and in a forum about law school prep , doesnt really sound like such a stupid idea on that posters part

boombasticlady

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2008, 04:40:48 PM »
First of all i want to say thank you even though u were rude in your response you still offered advice. Apparently not all of us spend every waking moment on the internet.

Seriously??  Is this your first time on the interwebs?

half.com:  http://search.half.ebay.com/law-school-without-fear_W0QQmZbooks

amazon.com:  http://www.amazon.com/Law-School-Without-Fear-Strategies/dp/1587781875/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1214518264&sr=8-1