Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How many students get A's  (Read 1985 times)

computerQ

• View Profile
    • Email
How many students get A's
« on: June 07, 2008, 03:39:35 AM »
Let's say in a class of 100, how many A's are awarded per class? How many B's etc. My school has 3.35 curve.

whartonn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How many students get A's
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 06:31:09 PM »
Let's say in a class of 100, how many A's are awarded per class? How many B's etc. My school has 3.35 curve.

Depends on how the teacher awards grades. It could be a bi-modal distribution with many A's and many C's. It could be a median-focused curve where nearly all of the students receive around a B+

Without knowing anything about your specific teacher, the majority of professors at my school (which has a similar curve to your school) give solid As to about 10% to 15% of the class.

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 06:42:58 PM »
I think at Vandy it is 10% as well.
Vandy 1L... really?

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 12:22:57 AM »
it depends a lot on the professor. also, I don't know how many other schools do it this way, but USC grades using a 4.0 scale using all the tenths. So, for example, you can get a 3.5, a 3.6, a 3.7, a 3.8, etc. I think this tends to make the spread tighter than if regular A,A-,B+, etc. grades were used.

But just to give you something to look at, in my classes for the spring semester: 4 out of 65 in my con law class got a 3.8 and up (6%), 5 out of 53 in my crim law got 3.8s and up (9%), 5 out of 63 in my ethics class got 3.8s and up (8%), 6 out of 62 (10%). My school's median is a 3.2, and somewhere I heard that about 20% of students end up getting an A at some point in their first year.

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 04:44:29 AM »
Michigan Law Class of 2010

wrhssaxensemble

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 07:31:56 AM »
I agree that to some extent it is the professors... but it is also to a large extent based on the school. For example, I would at least assume from a mathematical standpoint that there will be more A's at a Tier 1 where the curve is at 3.2 or higher than a tier 3 or 4 where the curve is a 2.5

Sell Out

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bienvenido al Terrordome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 01:44:25 PM »
The curve at my school ranges from a 2.9 to a 3.2 (I'm a 2L, so this is not just speculation).  I've had professors give out 9 A's in an 80 person class and I've had a professor give 3 A's in the same size class.  It depends on how many are at the lower end and how generous they are feeling. Don't stress yourself out about the number of A's though.  Study hard and do the best you can.  It is impossible to gauge whether or not you made an A since your grade depends on how others did, as well as how you did.  Good luck to you.
Rocking in the free world.

UH 2010

computerQ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 07:06:30 AM »
Here are Michigan's grading guidelines:

http://www.law.umich.edu/currentstudents/registration/Pages/gradingguidelines.aspx

This is actually really helpful...25% getting A+ to A-. That's not so bad. My guess is that my school is similar to this curve. Thanks.

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 08:43:50 AM »
Here are Michigan's grading guidelines:

http://www.law.umich.edu/currentstudents/registration/Pages/gradingguidelines.aspx

This is actually really helpful...25% getting A+ to A-. That's not so bad. My guess is that my school is similar to this curve. Thanks.

Your school might have even more A+ to A- grades, since you have a higher curve.  Ours is 3.19. 
Michigan Law Class of 2010

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 01:27:09 AM »
It depends a lot on the school. Some limit the number of A's a professor can give I belive and it can even be different for different courses at a given school. IIRC at HLS there are typically about 4 A's per 1L class (class size is about 75).
HLS 2010