Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ASU vs SMU  (Read 1335 times)

GoBulls

• View Profile
    • Email
ASU vs SMU
« on: June 06, 2008, 05:14:06 PM »
Hey all,

I have been planning to attend Arizona State since the end of May, but recently got off the waitlist at SMU and was offered $75,000.  I really enjoyed my visit to Tempe and think ASU is a good law school.  In addition, I have made an offer on a condo which will likely be accepted. 

However, at the beginning of the cycle SMU was one of my top choices.  I was born in Dallas, my sister currently lives there and my father and grandfather attended SMU undergrad.  I know little about the law school though, and was unable to visit.

Anyone have any similar predicaments?  Suggestions?  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: ASU vs SMU
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 05:25:37 PM »
I think this has to largely come down to where you'd rather practice.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

GoBulls

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 09:14:27 PM »
Does anyone know which one, if either, place better in their respective regions/cities?

*devo*

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 09:27:02 PM »
I live in Phoenix and ASU places very well in Phoenix.  The only other law school is U of A, which is in Tucson, and though it is ranked higher and slightly more respected, ASU gives great connections in the metro Phoenix area.

remiz22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 11:18:40 PM »
I think this has to largely come down to where you'd rather practice.

TITCR. SMU does well in Dallas and ASU does well in Phoenix. You must ask yourself an important question: steers or cactus?  :D

tankbrain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 12:59:38 PM »
Hey all,

I have been planning to attend Arizona State since the end of May, but recently got off the waitlist at SMU and was offered $75,000.  I really enjoyed my visit to Tempe and think ASU is a good law school.  In addition, I have made an offer on a condo which will likely be accepted. 

However, at the beginning of the cycle SMU was one of my top choices.  I was born in Dallas, my sister currently lives there and my father and grandfather attended SMU undergrad.  I know little about the law school though, and was unable to visit.

Anyone have any similar predicaments?  Suggestions?  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

Assuming you are not the new owner of a condo in Tempe, I would go to SMU. SMU is a slightly better law school than ASU, not to mention the fact that they offered you $75,000! That is a huge and generous offer. Add in the family connections in Dallas and this seems like an easy decision.
LSAT: 165
GPA:  3.4

GoBulls

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 01:50:25 PM »
Thanks for the responses everyone, it is very much appreciated.  I like both cities equally and job prospects seem even in the respective markets.  SMU seems the logical choice, as it is a slightly better school and $75,000 is a lot of money. 

I do find it curious that they offered a $75,000 scholarship of the waitlist, but it's certainly not something I'm going to complain about.

GoBulls

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 01:58:09 PM »
Hey, I sent you a PM Sunkist, but I'm kind of computer retarded, so let me know if it didn't go through.

Clayton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 02:58:40 PM »
Tempe gets really hot during the summer.

My dad lives in tempe, when I flew in it was 127 outside... way way too hot.

KD03

• Sr. Citizen
  • ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 11:54:56 AM »
Congratulations!!  :D