Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where are the human test takers?  (Read 2093 times)

ol.bob.629

• View Profile
Where are the human test takers?
« on: June 06, 2008, 04:42:02 PM »
Am I crazy or are the majority of the posts on this subject from the people scoring in the high 160's soiling themselves because they might not break 170? Now that I've managed to dry my tears of sorrow for the plight of the gunners looking for a free-ride to Yale, I'm wondering if there are any other normal people out there testing in the mid to high 150's looking to break 160 and get into CUA, WFU or Tulane? I'd love to think that I'm not the only one without a "pitiful" 176 diagnostic.

LSATHell

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Where are the human test takers?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 05:51:21 PM »
Sure the overrepresentation of 170+ overachievers is staggering, but only if you believe all of them.
BS is easily discernible.

grape

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 06:00:36 PM »
there's also the issue of bias in self reporting.  sure, i'll post about the 171 i got in practice, but im less likely to tell you guys about my 161 or 151.

Richard B. Riddick

• Going for the sweet spot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 06:12:27 PM »
Try going to a weightlifting forum sometime.  Everybody squats 600 pounds.  E-stats abound everywhere.

Myself, I'm more than happy to talk about my bad diagnostic tests.
Me?  I'm just passing through...

LSATHell

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 06:17:16 PM »
there's also the issue of bias in self reporting.  sure, i'll post about the 171 i got in practice, but im less likely to tell you guys about my 161 or 151.

Very true.

jms297

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 06:55:04 PM »
I agree with a lot of these posts, and I think this board kind of self-selects for overachievers and people who are OCD enough about the test to... well, spend time on an LSAT discussion board.     :P

I personally don't like to talk about scores unless it's completely relevant to the topic, or if the person I'm responding to is in the exact same boat as me score-wise. Otherwise sharing my practice test scores would probably make me feel either
a) nervous and frustrated, if people are scoring higher than me or
b) arrogant and obnoxious, if people are scoring lower than me

Honestly though,  mocking high scorers and implying that they are "soiling themselves" and not "normal" or that they would see a 176 as "pitiful" is not at all constructive.  I too have gotten annoyed with some of the crazy workaholics on this board -but if I see someone who considers a 176 "pitiful," you can bet I'm going to be asking them for advice, not making fun of them! 

tcwhat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 07:35:47 PM »
Am I crazy or are the majority of the posts on this subject from the people scoring in the high 160's soiling themselves because they might not break 170? Now that I've managed to dry my tears of sorrow for the plight of the gunners looking for a free-ride to Yale, I'm wondering if there are any other normal people out there testing in the mid to high 150's looking to break 160 and get into CUA, WFU or Tulane? I'd love to think that I'm not the only one without a "pitiful" 176 diagnostic.

I can see you're adamant on earning good will towards the very people who could help you break 160.

The people who both post a lot here and are currently scoring in the high 160s on their practice tests were more than likely, at one time, at your level.  They were first trying to break 160, then 165, and now 170.  Most people just don't begin testing in the 160s.  

And not all people are trying to break 170 to get into HYS.  Some people, myself included, want to get a 170 because our GPAs are notsogood and want a chance to makeup that deficiency.

F. Mercury

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 08:09:26 PM »

I can see you're adamant on earning good will towards the very people who could help you break 160.

The people who both post a lot here and are currently scoring in the high 160s on their practice tests were more than likely, at one time, at your level.  They were first trying to break 160, then 165, and now 170.  Most people just don't begin testing in the 160s.  

And not all people are trying to break 170 to get into HYS.  Some people, myself included, want to get a 170 because our GPAs are notsogood and want a chance to makeup that deficiency.

exactly!  i have been criticized for saying this.  but i still believe that with hard work and good practice, breaking 160 should not be that hard.  i started in the mid 140s.  ended up in the mid-high 160s.  plus, english is not my first language.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • tea baggers, unite! screw u.s.a.!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 09:45:47 PM »
julie score 185.  (extra credit.)

LSATHell

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 10:56:40 PM »
julie score 185.  (extra credit.)

I know!  That's why you got rejected from HYS; it's the damn yield protection.

To OP,

I'm surprised you haven't found any cohorts yet.
Everyone is just too smart to sympathize with your situation.   ;)

Heheh..  Just kidding of course.