Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Middle of the class looking for advice  (Read 1389 times)

Villanova1L

• View Profile
Middle of the class looking for advice
« on: June 06, 2008, 04:32:48 PM »
Obviously I attend Villanova and I just got my spring grades.  I did slightly worse than first semester and my GPA is now a 2.97.  My question is when should I apply for 2L summer.  I have a great job that I love this summer, but it wasnt paid.  Would it be silly to come back if I really enjoy the work?  Also, would it make sense to mail everything into all the mid-size to small firms in the area?

Just looking for advice, so thanks in advance for the replies.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Middle of the class looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 05:29:29 PM »
Whether or not you should stay at your current job (assume they give you an offer to come back) depends on what the long term outlook is there - is the employer even willing to consider giving you a permanent offer for after you graduate?  Sinking two summers into something that will never pan out into a "real" job may not be worth your time.

Small and mid sized firms are, for the most part, not even close to thinking about hiring needs for next summer.  Smaller firms especially often don't know hiring needs until late spring for the upcoming summer.  You can (and should) start networking ASAP, especially with the small and midsized firms you'd be interested in working for.

Villanova1L

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 01:22:56 PM »
What are some of the best ways to start networking with the small and midsize firms?

Thanks for the last reply

Intuition

• Sr. Citizen
  • We wander down darkened pathways in a daze.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 07:37:43 PM »
Do you have any connections at all with lawyers in such firms? Friends/family anything? That's the easiest place to start. After that I'd contact the local county bar associations or other groups where lawyers congregate. After that, I would think about contacting local smaller firms later this summer to offer your services during next school year...even if it's 10 hours a week at a firm making peanuts, it can be a way to get that foot in the door. Sometimes you gotta kick the door down.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 08:41:59 PM »
What are some of the best ways to start networking with the small and midsize firms?

Thanks for the last reply

Kimm Walton's "Guerrilla Tactics for Getting the Legal Job of your Dreams"