Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BLS to NYU&CLS  (Read 1671 times)

Adverse Possession

• View Profile
    • Email
BLS to NYU&CLS
« on: June 06, 2008, 02:49:39 PM »

wishiwasachef

• View Profile
Re: BLS to NYU&CLS
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 02:55:43 PM »
My guess is that it's worth a shot - maybe also worth applying to Fordham?

Adverse Possession

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 03:14:16 PM »
My guess is that it's worth a shot - maybe also worth applying to Fordham?

Fordham is not worth transferring. Top 7-8% at BLS is probably as good as top 7-8% at Fordham. I'll probably have my share of firm interviews during OCI but just maybe not with the V10. I'm not going to transfer and lose my scholarship and apartment for the same opportunities. 

My reason for wanting to transfer is the job security that NYU and CLS provides. I figure that with  firms cutting back on hiring, I'll be in a much better position at NYU CLS even as a transfer.     

JbooklynD

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 12:06:44 AM »
I'm also in the same boat as you and think you have a pretty good chance to transfer.  True, there will be some 3.8+ applying to CU and NYU, but for $80, is it really worth wondering what could have been?

My GPA is a bit lower and i'm still going to throw in some applications.  Do you know when class rank actually comes out? 

And, I agree, Fordham is not worth the transfer.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 12:13:54 AM »
I don't think the class rank letter comes out until mid-July, but I could be wrong.  I do remember it taking an awfully long time.  AP, I'm pretty sure 3.68 is right around 10% -- remember, if you're going off the NALP numbers, that upperclass classes are often on easier curves or off the curve so people tend to get better grades 2L and 3L.  I still think it's worth a shot as long as you don't obsess over it.  I know someone who was somewhere around top 15% who transfered to a T6 school (I won't offer more info for fear of identifying him/her, but I would be happy to tell you more if you PM me).  I only know this person's rank because we discussed the transfer process.  Good luck, both.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Adverse Possession

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 01:42:43 AM »
I don't think the class rank letter comes out until mid-July, but I could be wrong.  I do remember it taking an awfully long time.  AP, I'm pretty sure 3.68 is right around 10% -- remember, if you're going off the NALP numbers, that upperclass classes are often on easier curves or off the curve so people tend to get better grades 2L and 3L.  I still think it's worth a shot as long as you don't obsess over it.  I know someone who was somewhere around top 15% who transfered to a T6 school (I won't offer more info for fear of identifying him/her, but I would be happy to tell you more if you PM me).  I only know this person's rank because we discussed the transfer process.  Good luck, both.

Thanks for the encouragement Miss P. I'm perfectly happy with staying put but I guess I will put in an application to NYU and CLS and see what happens. Hopefully, the admission committee will realize that one grade was the reason for the drop.

If it doesn't work out, I guess I will have to think of another way to earn / save that $200.

bbhouston

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 03:03:35 PM »
Be sure to point out that the one class was the reason for the GPA drop.  There's no reason to simply hope that Columbia and NYU admissions folks see your transcript and understand - make sure they do. Good luck.

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 03:43:15 PM »

Thanks for the encouragement Miss P. I'm perfectly happy with staying put but I guess I will put in an application to NYU and CLS and see what happens. Hopefully, the admission committee will realize that one grade was the reason for the drop.

If it doesn't work out, I guess I will have to think of another way to earn / save that $200.

Friend of mine from my original T4 school was ranked in the top 5% and transferred to a top 10 school, so I'd say top 7-8% at Brooklyn will definitely give you a shot (provided they're fairly transfer friendly).

And the admissions committee will overlook your one lower grade on the transcript in making a decision. I had a C- in one of my courses which was enough to technically knock me out of the running for most of the schools I applied to as a transfer applicant (Was top 30%, most schools wanted top 20%, would have fallen within top 20% had my grades been consistent). I was accepted to 7 and rejected by 1. Head of admissions at my two top targets told me they considered the grade to be an anomaly. Don't write an addendum...the adcomms are smart enough to understand that you either had a bad day, a bad professor, or just weren't as proficient in this one subject area.

Adverse Possession

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 04:24:28 PM »
Friend of mine from my original T4 school was ranked in the top 5% and transferred to a top 10 school, so I'd say top 7-8% at Brooklyn will definitely give you a shot (provided they're fairly transfer friendly).

And the admissions committee will overlook your one lower grade on the transcript in making a decision. I had a C- in one of my courses which was enough to technically knock me out of the running for most of the schools I applied to as a transfer applicant (Was top 30%, most schools wanted top 20%, would have fallen within top 20% had my grades been consistent). I was accepted to 7 and rejected by 1. Head of admissions at my two top targets told me they considered the grade to be an anomaly. Don't write an addendum...the adcomms are smart enough to understand that you either had a bad day, a bad professor, or just weren't as proficient in this one subject area.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm only applying to NYU and CLS. It might seem stupid to limit myself but for family reasons, I want to stay in NYC.