Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: # of Waitlists norm?  (Read 2545 times)

doog83

• View Profile
    • Email
# of Waitlists norm?
« on: June 06, 2008, 01:05:54 PM »
Hey everyone. I'm on 10 waitlists out of the 16 schools I applied to. I know this is awfully open ended, depending on a myriad of factors, but this isn't the norm is it? About what percentage of schools are people usually waitlisted? Let me know your thoughts...

Pacavelli

• Ain't nothin to it, gangsta rap made me do it.
    • View Profile
Re: # of Waitlists norm?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 01:13:51 PM »
I assume you applied to your schools closer to the application deadline.  If so, then your situation would seem to be a little more understandable.
Stereotypes of a black male misunderstood, but it's still all good.
-Christopher Wallace

*devo*

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 01:19:42 PM »
It may be a combination of your numbers and the schools you applied to.  If you applied to a lot of schools in which your numbers are borderline, then you may not have had enough to get over the hump (yet).

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 04:31:32 PM »
Really your question does depend entirely on you, your numbers, where you applied to, and a few other factors.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Team Awesome

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 04:54:21 PM »
I was on 8 WLs and am still on 5. I asked to be removed from 2 and got in off 1 - with money srtangely enough. There seems to be very little that is normal in this wacky process.

Schmukatelli

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 02:00:52 PM »
I made it on 9.  In at one, rejected at one and WD from most of the rest.

pete.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 02:13:57 PM »
i'm only on one, but according to LSN, that school has issued more waitlists than rejections, and nearly as many waitlists as acceptances. anyone else thing this is kinda ridiculous?

*devo*

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 02:24:28 PM »
i'm only on one, but according to LSN, that school has issued more waitlists than rejections, and nearly as many waitlists as acceptances. anyone else thing this is kinda ridiculous?

That is ridiculous, but schools have all sorts of strategies to keep their numbers up for US News. Some schools must not have a very high yield and try to shore up attending students before they admit/reject more.

pete.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 02:35:24 PM »
yeah, the US news editor was on msnbc yesterday and i wanted to reach through the screen and punch him in the face as he was bragging about how popular their "special issues" were. their "rankings" (and our adherence to them) have turned the admissions process into a game of manipulation...

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 03:59:57 PM »

I don't know, I think it's almost necessary for schools to waitlist a ton of people. I forget the exact statistic, but I think LSAC says that the average applicant applies to something like 11 or 14 schools or something like that. When you have that many people applying to that many schools, it makes sense to waitlist a huge number of people just in case, since odds are everyone you accept will have several other offers on the board. If you have a bunch of folks in reserve, it keeps your bases covered as a law school.

And the law schools also don't want to run into the problem that Wyoming (I'm pretty sure it was them) had a few years ago when they accepted a bunch of people, expected a good number to withdraw, but had a large number of them accept the admissions offer, leaving the school saddled with more people then they wanted. I'm not sure how they solved it, but I'm sure it was a headache. Waitlisting a few folks that you otherwise would accept can help prevent that.

And as an applicant, I'd rather be waitlisted then rejected. At least you're still in the hunt if you're on the list. Granted you might be pruned out of the bottom of the list if that's where you are, but at least you have a shot.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.