Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Working during 1L  (Read 718 times)

Top Cat

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ky. born, Ky. bred... when I die, I'll be Ky. dead
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
Working during 1L
« on: June 06, 2008, 08:07:03 AM »
I heard from somewhere that students at University of Kentucky aren't allowed to work during their 1L year and are only allowed to work 20 hours during 2L.  Does anyone know if this sounds accurate or if other law schools have this rule?

Also, if this rule doesn't exist, is it feasible/ reccomendable to work during the first year at law school?  I have heard some people say it isn't, and I have had some professors who were attorneys that said they worked the whole time.  To those of you who have went through law school without working, how did you come up with money to get by and live (especially if you were married or were supporting a family)?
University of Kentucky 1L

LSN

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Working during 1L
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 08:33:33 AM »
I believe that's an ABA rule, actually, that full-time 1Ls can't work more than 20 hours per week.  At my school, I think we're supposed to get permission if we work more than 10.  I *think*.

Anyway, I mooched off my husband/loans mostly, but I did actually do some contract work on weekends during second semester.  It was pretty taxing, but it's doable if you are smart about time management.
Michigan Law Class of 2010

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 08:46:13 AM »
Seriously, borrow the money to live on, at least for your first semester.  I'm in my second week of class right now, and I can't imagine working even a couple hours a week.  You have a ton of stuff to do, you are getting used to a whole new type of reading, and you need to have some time to relax and unwind a bit so you don't go insane. 

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

Top Cat

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ky. born, Ky. bred... when I die, I'll be Ky. dead
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 09:53:57 AM »
Thanks for all of the tips... I won't have a full family when I start, but I am getting married so I will have a wife (who will be working full-time) and myself.  We have discussed different options, including taking out a loan, but right now we are kind of playing things by ear and seeing how I do on the LSAT and what I get offered.
University of Kentucky 1L

LSN

TheCause

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 12:24:25 PM »
Thanks for all of the tips... I won't have a full family when I start, but I am getting married so I will have a wife (who will be working full-time) and myself.  We have discussed different options, including taking out a loan, but right now we are kind of playing things by ear and seeing how I do on the LSAT and what I get offered.

Good idea.  It is important to know how much money you need before you think about working.  Keeping a job during 1L isn't worth the trouble unless you have completely flexible hours.  I know a law student that cleans an office building.  He works about 30 minutes a night during the week and 3 hours on saturday and he gets about $1000.  He can go to the office and clean anytime between 7 PM and 7AM, so he just goes whenever he gets tired of studying.
If you are creative, I'm sure you would be able to find something that wouldn't cause a significant amount of stress.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 04:07:05 PM »
The policy of my school is that while you *CAN* work up to 20 hours a week and still be in compliance with ABA guidelines, you are *STRONGLY DISCOURAGED* from doing so.

Just take out a loan for your first year. The nice thing about going to law school is that plenty of people are willing to finance your entire life for 3 years, in exchange for a 6.5% - 8.5% (if you don't ever get anything more than the grad plus loans) return on their investment.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

jammer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 05:15:43 PM »
This no work policy sounds pretty accurate. At most of the schools I looked at, they all seemed to strongly discourage working during the first year. I know for sure at my school, you need approval from the dean to work during your first year, and they strongly discourage you from doing so. Most of the students there said that law school is just as time consuming as a full time job, so I can't imagine adding onto that.