Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: WUSTL (25k/yr) vs. Vandy  (Read 2246 times)

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: WUSTL (25k/yr) vs. Vandy
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 03:41:57 PM »
Vandy cannot guarantee you a big bucks job. As long as there are no strings attached to the $75K, I would lean towards taking the money.

In your place, I would ask WUSTL for more money and see what they have to offer you, then think about it some more.

yes1234

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 04:47:41 PM »
I'd go with Vandy 100%. The major difference is the QOL at Vandy compared to WUSTL. Warm weather, beautiful people, and a nice SEC vibe. Plus Nashville as a whole is much more fun than St. Louis. While money and such is important, you have to go where you'll ultimately be able to keep a sane mind.

TimMitchell

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 07:08:37 PM »
Wow it's pretty split. Where you are leaning now?

remiz22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 11:15:24 PM »
I would choose WUSTL 100%. With no money, Vandy would be the easy choice. But when you add 75k(!!), WUSTL is really hard to turn down.

I'm also not a huge fan of Nashville.

rwcrump

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2008, 01:12:32 PM »
I'm leaning towards flipping a coin.
In: WUSTL($$), GWU, Emory, IU-Bloomington($), UK($), Cinci($), UofL($)
Waitlist: Vandy
168 LSAT, 3.2 GPA

Ravynous Elegance

• Sr. Citizen
  • aw the baby bunt! too bad he got big.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 10:46:44 AM »
Made this decision last year. Went with Vandy - couldn't be happier.

I did not like St. Louis AT ALL. Nashville is an amazing city and the cost of living is low. Additionally, there are many great and affordable neighborhoods to live in - within walking distance from the law school. It was a tough decision for me because my boyfriend was in at both medical schools and WashU is ranked 4th for med - however, even he says that he wouldn't have been as happy at WashU as he is at Vandy.

I think quality of life is a very important thing to consider - and for myself, Vanderbilt was the right choice.

I asked Vandy for money because I was turning down WashU and I got a small scholarship (10k/year).

Vanderbilt University School of Law 2010

tankbrain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2008, 12:51:25 PM »
My brother chose WUSTL (with $35,000) over Vandy (with no money) two years ago. He still says it was the best decision he ever made.

Vanderbilt is a great school for undergrad, but not ideal for being a law student. Nashville is also a very odd city and not really my cup of tea. On the other hand, I found WUSTL to have a gorgeous campus and Saint Louis to be a very affordable, livable city.

I'm a debt averse person, especially in this type of economy. I would definitely splurge and pay an extra $75,000 to go to one of the better T14, but I don't think there is that much of a difference between WUSTL and Vandy to pay an extra $75,000 
LSAT: 165
GPA:  3.4

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2008, 05:29:07 PM »
I think its hilarious that every Vandy troll is matched by a WUSTL troll.

I didn't dislike St. Louis, I was actually pleasantly surprised by the Clayton area, I just liked Nashville better.
Vandy 1L... really?

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2008, 06:18:47 PM »
For what its worth, and it might not be much, the cost of living argument can't really be used about Vandy, because their COL on the LSAC data actually gives the advantage to WashU by about $400. So, apparently, St. Louis seems to be a cheap city as well. But who knows where they get this data and it might not be legit.

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2008, 06:41:23 PM »
For what its worth, and it might not be much, the cost of living argument can't really be used about Vandy, because their COL on the LSAC data actually gives the advantage to WashU by about $400. So, apparently, St. Louis seems to be a cheap city as well. But who knows where they get this data and it might not be legit.

Yeah I remember someone at the WUSTL ASD saying that you can find a decent place for like 600/mo. I don't think COL should be a factor.
Vandy 1L... really?