Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NY BAR EXAM (bar/bri) Question:  (Read 2180 times)

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
NY BAR EXAM (bar/bri) Question:
« on: June 05, 2008, 10:47:02 AM »
question: have you (i.e. all of you fellow hapless NY barbri takers) been outlining the lecture notes at all? i'm loathe to do this as 1) it takes me hours, 2) there are few things that i hate more, and 3) contrary to bar/bri company rhetoric, i learn close to nothing via the "process" of composing the f-ing thing. instead, a completed outline, with sufficient detail, would be 100x better as i could better use my time studying / memorizing that, instead of manufacturing (i.e. painfully transcribing) my own bad version.

i called bar/bri and asked them specifically if they provided one or if there was an "outlining" service that i could pay for .. they laughed at me. excuse me? did my firm not just fork over THIRTY TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS so that i may pile into a tiny, crowded classroom and watch a stupid 4 hour vid with all of the other suckers?

all the same, my Q is this: has anyone found an online source (maybe from last year?) of a NY Barbri lecture note outline? if so, could you please point me in the right direction? thanks ...

uh huh.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: NY BAR EXAM (bar/bri) Question:
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 12:54:05 PM »
I actually do outline every lecture, since I find it very helpful to have my own version of the lectures in a form (using various pictures, charts and color-coding) that I can visualize and remember in my head. Thousands of people have passed using BarBri's system, so I ain't gonna "fix" what ain't broke . . .

That being said, in my quest for efficient study methods, I did a search on-line for "BarBri study aids" through google, and stumbled upon several craigslist ads for people selling their outlines. You may want to give that a try.

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 01:08:21 PM »
haha nice .. good ole craig's list.. thanks for the heads up

unlvcrjchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 02:00:03 PM »
Look on the bright side: at least *your* firm paid for it...me, I'm shelling out the sh*t myself. Also, am I the only one who is extremely disappointed with the BarBri essay graders?  They are simply AWFUL!

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 05:22:05 PM »
i just submitted mine yesterday. apparently we will receive the critique in 7-10 days ...

unlvcrjchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 02:56:41 AM »
i just submitted mine yesterday. apparently we will receive the critique in 7-10 days ...

Oh okay. But be forewarned: the graders are bad! In fact, they are so bad that I got an email from the NV BarBri rep, and she confirmed that the grader who graded my essay, and who was one of the many new graders on staff, "didn't meet [their] standards." She didn't meet their standards because she didn't call attention to the fact that I accidentally misread some of the facts on one of the issues and she gave me credit for spotting 2 issues that were not issues at all according to the sample answer in the essay book.  I ended up missing 3 issues out of the 8-9 that were on the essay, and what was my grade, according to the genius grader?  80% for "spotting all of the main issues."  So, the grader said I got a passing grade (you need a 75 to pass one of the NV essays), despite my missing 3 issues on a primarly issue-spotting subject (Torts):  talk about ridiculous. 

All of that being said, I don't believe the fault of this is due to the graders being new, for I've heard from countless people that BarBri's essay grading is "pathetic": NOW I see why.  It's a good thing I'm taking Essay Advantage: I signed up immediately after I got my grade on this essay.

In any event, I hope *you* get more detailed feedback on your essay than what I received.

bossofyou

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 09:06:29 AM »
I am outlining, and I too despise it.  I am convinced that many people will not and that it's unnecessary, but I do as I am instructed because I am lame.  I send my 1st essay off today, it's nice to hear such highly credentialed attention will be given to my practice exam.  Money well spent.