Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Consultants  (Read 2191 times)

weymo001

• View Profile
    • Email
Consultants
« on: June 05, 2008, 09:01:05 AM »
Dear Forum,

I am considering hiring an admissions consultant since I am a nontraditional applicant and don't have accesss to a prelaw advisor. However, I am leery of any guy who has website doing this. Will only pay on a per hour basis:

Names:

Cindy Tokumitsu Accepted.com
Amy Johnson Tulane Admissionsconsultants.com
Anna Ivey
Anne Levine

What is your opinion of these consultants? Do you have any names (plus contact info) that you would recommend?

Thanks,

NW

dekocards

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • stats
Re: Consultants
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 09:07:26 AM »
I don't know anything about consultants; however, you may want to check with your UG.  I know that my school's advisor would talk to anyone about LS admissions, even people who never went to the school.

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 09:14:54 AM »
I used Derek Meeker of admissionsconsultants.com and would highly recommend him.  I only used an hour, because I only wanted advice on my (finished) statements/resume, but I think I would have been worth it to start earlier and work with him to develop my statements.  He's a former dean of admissions at Penn, so obviously he knows what top schools are looking for.  It was great to get that insight and helped ease my mind about the great "unknowns" of the application process.  I was accepted into 11 of the 12 schools that I applied to, from Vandy to Harvard, with lots of scholarship money at many of them.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

dekocards

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • stats
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 09:19:21 AM »
I used Derek Meeker of admissionsconsultants.com and would highly recommend him.  I only used an hour, because I only wanted advice on my (finished) statements/resume, but I think I would have been worth it to start earlier and work with him to develop my statements.  He's a former dean of admissions at Penn, so obviously he knows what top schools are looking for.  It was great to get that insight and helped ease my mind about the great "unknowns" of the application process.  I was accepted into 11 of the 12 schools that I applied to, from Vandy to Harvard, with lots of scholarship money at many of them.

You're a black female with a 175 and what looks like really solid WE.  I'm not entirely sure you should attribute your admissions success to a consultant.  Y probably regrets their decision... :D 

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 09:23:27 AM »

You're a black female with a 175 and what looks like really solid WE.  I'm not entirely sure you should attribute your admissions success to a consultant.   Y probably regrets their decision... :D 

I was gonna put some sort of disclaimer, but didn't bother.  Obviously there's no way of knowing how much his assistance made a difference.  I know that he improved my application, but would I have been accepted anyway?  I have no idea...  I think it could have helped on the scholarships, which were all over the place.  Another thing to note is that the only statement that I didn't ask for advice on was my Yale 250.  Coincidence?  ;)
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

dekocards

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • stats
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 09:54:01 AM »
I was gonna put some sort of disclaimer, but didn't bother.  Obviously there's no way of knowing how much his assistance made a difference.  I know that he improved my application, but would I have been accepted anyway?  I have no idea...  I think it could have helped on the scholarships, which were all over the place.  Another thing to note is that the only statement that I didn't ask for advice on was my Yale 250.  Coincidence?  ;)

I thought about throwing an app at Yale for laughs, and when I saw the 250 requirement I gave up.  I don't know how anyone says anything Yale-worthy in 250 words...  I think that's the part where you write,  "...so after I started my NGO and saved my 70th endangered species, I decided to go into law."  I doubt Derek could help much with that.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 02:26:14 AM »
Consultants offer nothing that you can't learn on your own. However, if you're really risk adverse, I suppose they couldn't hurt.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 09:15:45 AM »

I talked to Mrs. Johnson for an hour and really emjoyed the experience.  She gave me valuable insight regarding how I should construct my application.  However, I believe that the most important part of the process was giving me a piece of mind!  Especially if your a non-trad or working with any sort of soft factors or skeletons in your closet, the service is invaluable.  Instead of starting threads entitled "What are my odds" that leave out crucial personal data - It's great to have a reliable expert tell you what exactly your odds look like. I personally can sleep at night again.  Basically, in a process filled with little reliable information, its a tremendous service and relief to gain a little something reliable.

I totally agree with this.

Consultants offer nothing that you can't learn on your own. However, if you're really risk adverse, I suppose they couldn't hurt.

I completely disagree with this.

lsn

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 10:23:33 AM »

I completely disagree with this.

That's fine, we have our separate opinions. All I'm saying is that in my admissions process, I handled everything myself and did just fine with what I had to work with. Personally, I have never heard anything someone learned from a consultant that I didn't already know or couldn't have learned with a negligible amount of research if I cared about it at all.

Back in ye' olden days when I was beginning the process of applying, I poked around at a number of consultant's sites looking to see what they offered and if they had that little something extra that might make the difference. After going through about 20 of them, I came to the conclusion that none of them offered anything special, especially for the price that they charge. I've always thought that 99% of consultants are frauds, and I found little to dissuade me of that belief.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

tankbrain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 12:53:03 PM »
My brother used Anna Ivey a couple of years ago and found her to be very helpful.
LSAT: 165
GPA:  3.4