Law School Discussion

TEST DAY - so who is in for the June LSAT?

ak362

Re: T-minus eleven days - so who is in for the June LSAT?
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2008, 08:11:27 PM »
Oh, boy.

I've just finished study abroad in the UK (early June), and have been studying for the LSAT during the middle of exams (since February, on-and-off, but more intensely in late March onward). I've been scoring between 164-167, but am hoping to get a slight boost in terms of point rage (maybe 165-168 in the next few tests?)

I've been scoring very well on logic games and reading comprehension -- missing one to three questions in most of my practice tests. Logical reasoning -- haven't been doing so hot; decent enough to score in the 165 range.

Fingers crossed.

Richard B. Riddick

• Going for the sweet spot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2008, 08:31:15 PM »

Plowing through another 10 practice tests this week. ALthough I'm giving myself a two day break before the test

That's pretty close to my plan.  When I'm not working (I'm calling in a lot of favors to make my schedule study-friendly) or working out (never underestimate the effect an 90 minutes in a gym can do for LSAT stress), I'll be in my man-cave with LSAT books and tests piled around me.

BarryLaine

• "My aim is true..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2008, 08:39:35 PM »
I'm going to do a test a day with a day off before the 16th.  Trying to get my scores in a consistent range...Anybody else a bit inconsistent?

grape

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2008, 09:58:02 PM »
Okay guys.  I am not taking the June LSAT.  I moved it to October instead.  I am averaging -3 in games, but Logical Reasoning is kicking my @$$!!!  I am missing like 6-8 in each section, which is a real bummer.  So I stopped timing myself, and just focused on the questions without diagramming (as they teach you to do in Testmasters/Powerscore) and I got 7 out of 8 correct.  What gives?  What am I doing wrong?  I am targeting a T14, so I have to hit a decent score.  Help!!

I get anywhere from 0 to 2 wrong on my LR sections, and I can tell you that RARELY ever diagram an LR question.  The only time I'll diagram an LR question is if it's a strict sufficient/necessary condition problem.  Otherwise, I never diagram premises or conclusions.  I don't know if this will help, but my thought process when I attack LR is to read the argument or stimulus thoroughly and really personalize the argument.   In other words, if someone were making this statement to me, how would I react to it?  A lot of times I'll be able to anticipate the question and the correct answer choice, without even reading anything other than the stimulus.  Remember that the testmakers aren't trying to trick you.  The correct answer will always be the ONLY correct answer.  If there's anything at all wrong with an answer, it is 100% wrong.  Process of elimination is huge for LR.  Hope this helps a little bit...

In other news, I think I'm starting to get the hang of LG.  LSATHell, your advice on really concentrating on how the game's outcomes are limited at the outset is really golden.  I finished an LG section today with nearly 5 minutes to spare!

I'll be taking one practice test a day from now til Saturday, resting my brain on Sunday, and hopefully going into the test Monday feeling confident.

Good luck studying everyone.  Let's go into the exam with the expectation that we will score higher than our practice ranges :)

BarryLaine

• "My aim is true..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2008, 10:13:23 PM »
Hey, Grape - Can you put up a link to LSATHell's LG advice?  I'd love to see that!  Thanks!

grape

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2008, 10:22:35 PM »
Sure, upon review it was actually FatUncle's advice, but LSATHell also contributed. :)   It's in a thread I made earlier.  Here's the link:

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,4010905.0.html

sheltron5000

• All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2008, 10:55:19 PM »
I get anywhere from 0 to 2 wrong on my LR sections, and I can tell you that RARELY ever diagram an LR question.  The only time I'll diagram an LR question is if it's a strict sufficient/necessary condition problem.  Otherwise, I never diagram premises or conclusions.  I don't know if this will help, but my thought process when I attack LR is to read the argument or stimulus thoroughly and really personalize the argument.   In other words, if someone were making this statement to me, how would I react to it?  A lot of times I'll be able to anticipate the question and the correct answer choice, without even reading anything other than the stimulus.  Remember that the testmakers aren't trying to trick you.  The correct answer will always be the ONLY correct answer.  If there's anything at all wrong with an answer, it is 100% wrong.  Process of elimination is huge for LR.  Hope this helps a little bit...

Absolutely true, I've only been missing 1-2 Qs per section, and most of the time it's because I get myself all stressed out and try to rush through without "personalizing" the questions. I've found this is especially important on the questions that the test makers confuse by using overly complicated grammar/vocabulary.

I'm in for june. But here in Korea, we get to take the test a day early (sunday) at 9 in the morning. I hope you all appreciate having it in the afternoon ;)

mbw

• TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2008, 11:13:10 PM »
I'm going to do a test a day with a day off before the 16th.  Trying to get my scores in a consistent range...Anybody else a bit inconsistent?

Ah-yup (as we say in Maine.)  Been ranging between 171 (PT 44) and 161 (PT 47).  Today, PT 49 was 165.  However, I've been consistently trying to take tests in the worst possible circumstances (Starbucks, loud music, friends who drop by to way hello, cell-phone not on silent, etc.) in order to simulate worst case conditions. And really, you all need to prepare for worst case conditions (e.g., my first test, had a drummer-boy who finger-drummed on the desk a foot behind my head for the whole test. That wouldn't have been so bad, except a marching band passed by our windows half-way through.)  You have to be prepared for anything, including canceling. I should have canceled my second test (migraine mid-test) except I was so desperate to show I could do better than the drummer-boy/marching band test.  Make sure you take at least one PT in less than perfect conditions.  If you can, take the remainder of them under harsh circumstances.  You help no one but yourself.

Re: T-minus ten days - so who is in for the June LSAT?
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2008, 11:30:45 PM »
Im IN!!

Feeling pretty prepared, my PTs have been consistently in the 171-174 range. I have about 4 more PTs that I will be doing over the next week, but I am also in summer school and have a take-home midterm that will be due the 17th  :-\ I am looking at it as a much needed break for my brain (ha)

I think there is a real danger in burning out, so I am  just going to try to keep my confidence up and not forget any of the skills I have learned. I am hoping to peak on test day!

(and I will get an avatar  :P)

Re: T-minus ten days - so who is in for the June LSAT?
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2008, 12:58:42 AM »
I'm taking the Dec 2004 LSAT tomorrow... What should I expect--easy, hard?  If I get a high score, should I be legitimately excited?  If I get a bad score, should I not be too hard on myself?