Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Zombie Apocalypse  (Read 37121 times)

dsetterl

Re: Zombie Apocalypse
« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2008, 05:32:32 PM »
I am from Memphis too, but I currently live in Knoxville. Did you ever do the Zombie Walk? I am definitely doing that and attemtping Sasquatch challenge this year.

PLus I don't think we need Rid-X. I think we should just send Prelawdelt, "he can get out of anything" Or we could send Ricklax to do magic.

dsetterl

« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2008, 05:39:59 PM »
I will be living on Mud Island which is a great location to start a community to fend of the Memphis Zombies!

TimMitchell

« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2008, 06:08:44 PM »
Ok, here are some very prelimary plans. We should think about starting constructing quickly as a zombie apocalypse could happen at any moment. The plans are intentially small-scale to help building quickly.

Legend:
Blue- That is the moat we have all been talking about. I've added some spears all around, although I'm sure a better idea is out there.

Red- Very heavy steel drawbridge. We need an engineer to help as this will have to be able to also operated manually if generator runs out of fuel (more on this later)

Green- Steel shutters. I'm thinking plantation style, although this is still open to discussion.

"T" Circles- Turrets, of course. Something along these lines.
Pink- Staircase. Stairs to the basement are equiped with a large steel cover. The basement will be the last line of defence and must be protected the most.

AC- Armored car. We may need to be able to access the outside world. I'm thinking an armorer Hummer with a zombie cowcatcher. Maybe a smaller turret on top, Halo style warthog?

Walls- Need to be concrete walls. I'm not too sure about the 45 degree walls, we would have to do some testing before we know they are safe. What if the piles of dead zombies allow enough traction for others to get onto the roof?

Ok, The roof.

WT- Watchtower. dsetterl suggested a good one, I believe.

G- Generator

T- Another turret

H- Helipad! We may need rescue. I don't think we can afford a helicopter to have stashed there at first, but if it's in the budget than we should buy it.

Basement, last line of defence. Like I said, the pink needs to be a large, heavy steel hatch. We have two bedrooms, designed to support about 4-6 people. Bathroom, but we may have to accept this will be sans plumbing.

Blue Circles- Water tanks. I'm thinking we can squeeze 400-500 gallons. Water is the most important aspect to zombie survival.

Brown shelves- Food storage. We can only use dry, unperishable food. Spaceman food.

dsetterl

« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2008, 06:16:17 PM »
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.  :D :D :D :D :D

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2008, 06:41:01 PM »
I am from Memphis too, but I currently live in Knoxville. Did you ever do the Zombie Walk? I am definitely doing that and attemtping Sasquatch challenge this year.

PLus I don't think we need Rid-X. I think we should just send Prelawdelt, "he can get out of anything" Or we could send Ricklax to do magic.

or, rick lax could just read the zombies entries from his blog.

nice fort, tim!
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

TimMitchell

« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2008, 06:44:35 PM »

nice fort, tim!

You can stay in fort anytime

dsetterl

« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2008, 07:19:24 PM »
You forgot to add a communication center to try and communicate with the outside world. We also need some sort of infirmary. I will be damned if I have to sleep in the same room while some one is giving birth or having surgery.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2008, 07:21:47 PM »

nice fort, tim!

You can stay in fort anytime

but with bald guy.

TimMitchell

« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2008, 07:24:54 PM »
You forgot to add a communication center to try and communicate with the outside world. We also need some sort of infirmary. I will be damned if I have to sleep in the same room while some one is giving birth or having surgery.

If we are able to hook up to the power grid I'm sure we can get some sort of communication line. But this may have to be made fast, and we don't have time to waste precious food space on a communication center.

The infirmary is out of the question, though. If you are bitten then we have to put you out of misery. If we need surgury for non-zombie related injuries we will have to make due. This is an apocalypse, man, no time for luxuries.

Here's the next question, if we have room for six people who should we let in? We are going to need a doctor and engineer, maybe a few marines, who else?

Talk Is Cheap

• Sr. Citizen
  • F*** the man, I'm the man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2008, 07:40:26 PM »
I also must argue against "holing up," especially if you're dealing with the slow-but-persistent, George Romero type zombies. If you have a tree fort or a walled compound, and they know you're in there, they'll just keep piling up and up until they make a living-dead zombie bridge and can walk over your walls or whatever. If possible, get to a non-infested area or one where you can be free to roam around a little if necessary. Sitting in the middle of a zombie horde in a bunker or wherever the hell is only going to prolong your eventual demise.

Also must advise against massive high-caliber weaponry. First, ammo is expensive and heavy. Assuming you found some after the apocalypse and didn't have to buy it and "stock up" beforehand, you'd still have to lug it around. Get one of those mounted-turret things, how the hell are you realistically going to transport all those ammo belts? On top of that, heavier ammo like that is loud...shooting it off will attract yet more zombies. I'd say your best bet is to get a couple thousand rounds of .22LR ammo and a good scoped gun, and aim for the brain. You could buy 5000 rounds for about 200 bucks right now, and being that it's one of the most common cartridges in the world, you'd have better luck scavenging for it. Works in rifles or pistols, as well. You'll have better range with lighter loads, too. Ideally you'd want to quietly pick off wandering zombies from afar before they ever got close enough to necessitate using any of your big automatic weapons. If you're any good with a crossbow, that would be even better, because that's extra silent. Ideally you could procure some silencers for your weapons, too.

For back-up and close quarters you can go with anything. Machetes and the like should be your last resort...I'd keep at least a pair of pistols and a short-barreled shotgun on me in case any zombs got too close for comfort. But your entire strategy should be centered on making sure that never happens.

The idea with weapons is quiet, low maintenance, and a plentiful supply of ammo.

Good luck and keep those zombies at bay!