Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Study Aids: Does everyone use them?  (Read 2021 times)

Brutus "The Buckeye" Beefcake

• No relation to Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake
    • View Profile
Study Aids: Does everyone use them?
« on: June 04, 2008, 10:01:26 PM »
From this board I've heard about study aids such as E&Es and commercial outlines. I have also heard that many professors tell their students not to use them. What percentage of students would you say use study aids in addition to the casebook in law school? Also, do people tend to use the same study aids, or do people use different ones since they don't know which ones are the best?
I am THE Ohio State University Troll.

The Artist

• Sr. Citizen
  • Admit it... you got Rick Rolled.
    • View Profile
Re: Study Aids: Does everyone use them?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 04:47:32 AM »
tag

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 07:03:03 AM »
I would say most people use some sort of study aid for most classes.  And people do use different ones, but word gets around (especially from upperclassmen) which ones people think are best for each class, so a lot of people use the same ones.

I personally am addicted to study aids.
Michigan Law Class of 2010

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 07:11:38 AM »
I rarely used them for class, other than the E&E for civ pro and an outline for Conlaw (although if I had to do it over again, I'd get Chemerinsky's hornbook for Conlaw).

I always used them to prepare for finals.  I would skim through concepts in the E&E, or sometimes just go to the review questions after reviewing on my own.  And Seigel's Essay Exam books, with sample essay exams and answers, got me through 1L.

Edit:  Ah, how could I forget Dressler's Understanding Crim?  I loved that book, and used it religiously (didn't hurt that we used Dressler's casebook)!

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 08:32:07 AM »
I rarely used them for class, other than the E&E for civ pro and an outline for Conlaw (although if I had to do it over again, I'd get Chemerinsky's hornbook for Conlaw).

I always used them to prepare for finals.  I would skim through concepts in the E&E, or sometimes just go to the review questions after reviewing on my own.  And Seigel's Essay Exam books, with sample essay exams and answers, got me through 1L.

I was mostly the same, except that I read some of the longer supplements (Chemerinsky and Dressler's Understanding Crim Law) throughout the semester in preparation for finals, not for class.  Something like a Gilberts was also useful for the occaisional reference throughout the semester if I really didn't understand a topic.

My finals prep was usually E&E's and Crunchtime.  If I was on track I had already read the major hornbooks before finals.  If not, I only read the chapters that I felt were most crucial.  The Crunchtimes and Torts E&E had some great essay exams and test prep advice that was really helpful, though some crunchtimes (contracts) are better than others (torts).
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

jsb221

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 08:31:48 PM »
I love the Crunchtime books and wish I would have found out about them sooner.
I also found the Law in a Flash cards helpful, not so much for black letter law, but for the short hypos.
Study aids really depend on the individual. Figure out what works best for you. if you don't think you need them, then don't use them. If you only want to brush up on a topic or two, then go ahead. Of it you are completely lost and need some help on a particular topic, the longer hornbooks, such as Chemerinsky for con law, is great.

doos13

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 08:32:10 PM »
Did you guys read something the summer before classes? Is that worthwhile?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 11:41:45 PM »

No, and No.

Papa Bear

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do these shades make me look fat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 01:22:27 AM »

No, and No.

Seconded and seconded.

I think a strong majority if not everybody uses supplements. I used Emanuels for contracts and that seemed to help. I touched my Emanuels for Con Law twice - a complete waste of money for me. E&E was the best for Civ Pro. Dressler basically taught me Crim Law. If your school gives you access to cali.org, I suggest you use their lessons for property in those areas which your property prof doesn't spend enough time in class for you.
"Facts have a well-known liberal bias."

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 02:03:21 AM »
tag
Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament