Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: "Thank You" Gifts  (Read 1484 times)

jas142

• View Profile
"Thank You" Gifts
« on: June 04, 2008, 07:05:26 PM »
Is it appropriate to give a professor a small gift (Gift certificate, etc.) for writing a letter of recommendation, or is a simple "thank you" letter the preferred route?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: "Thank You" Gifts
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 04:12:41 PM »
Just tell them thanks and say it like you mean it. I didn't get any of my recommenders gifts and they all still like me. You can come back in a few years, JD in hand, and buy them and their families a good dinner to make it up to them.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

oh noez

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 07:14:19 PM »
I got my recommenders gifts from Harry & David. My mom is a professor and says that it really stands out and is much appreciated when a student does this in return for a LOR. However, it is not necessary... especially because it is expensive (I basically blew a whole paycheck on it). BUT, you should definitely write a thank you note.

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 11:28:37 PM »
Yeah, I'm definately a fan of the thank you notes. Most people appreciate getting something like that and just say you know "I really enjoyed being in your class and appreciate you taking time out of your busy schedule to write me a LOR". It's simple but effective and shows your appreciation, esp. if it's someone you don't bump into often

oh noez

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 12:48:58 PM »
it's also a nice way to maintain good rapport in case you need to call on them for other such favors in the future. never burn any bridges.

stl1622dc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 06:42:18 AM »
I got them thank you notes and some Godiva chocolates.  I don't think it's necessary, but if they got the letters in to LSAC really quickly (like mine did) then a little gift would be nice to show your gratitude.