Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Changing Fields After 2L Summer?  (Read 1387 times)

SoonToBe3L

• View Profile
Changing Fields After 2L Summer?
« on: June 04, 2008, 06:36:27 PM »
I wasn't sure if this should go in 3L or 2L, I'm a rising 3L...

I've been working at the same firm for over a year and have a contract with them to work there until May 2009.  While I originally enjoyed the work I am starting to think that this is not what I want to do.  The firm does entertainment work but I am thinking of moving into constitutional/1st Amendment or copyright/trademark work.  My questions are:
1) Does working in a specific field for so long limit me when other potential employers get my resume and see a ton of entertainment-related stuff?
2) When should I start looking into other firms and how do I go about it considering I have a contract with my current firm?
3) Should I try OCI even though I'm going into my 3L year already?

I have a 3.01 GPA, law review and worked two jobs through law school to pay my own way.  I have set up an informational interview with someone I know in constitutional/copyright law but he works at a big firm that's way out of my league.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks so much!  :)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Changing Fields After 2L Summer?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 08:55:37 PM »
Definitely do more networking in the area.  You may want to toss your hat in the OCI ring, but I really think networking and getting to know attorneys in the field who may keep you in mind if openings are available after your contract job ends may be the best bet.

Not being 100% sure what exactly goes on in entertainment law, I actually think the first amendment/copyright switch could work well, since there is a relationship between working with artists/entertainers and protecting enforcing trademark/copyright rights.