Law School Discussion

Poll

What should the main subject/idea of my PS be.

The Works of Ayn Rand and how they drive me
4 (23.5%)
My experiences in elder care and how that is making me consider a career in public service (elder advocacy)
6 (35.3%)
How my work in a boiler room operation has made me empathic to the needs of others, and the need to redeem myself through public service
1 (5.9%)
I want to be a lawyer because I enjoy dry material and copying and pasting (looking for a trade)
2 (11.8%)
A discussion of the following hypothetical: if I had a choice of a super-power, what it would be and what I would use it for.
4 (23.5%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: June 14, 2008, 08:02:36 AM

Help me pick my PS subject

$Bill

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Help me pick my PS subject
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2008, 06:02:03 AM »
I would say how if you were carnage you would turn your hand into a bingo stamper so you could help the old folks can win their puddin'.

Tag it and bag it. You now have a PS topic that is likely to get you a full ride + stipend at any T14.

Now imagine if I could turn my leg into a dialysis machine.

dsetterl

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2008, 07:12:16 AM »
That's just plain silly.

dsetterl

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2008, 07:34:07 AM »
For reals this time:
 I would write about Elder law. However, I would not come out "guns a' blazin'" in the essay. I would just say how some circumstance with old people led you towards the law.  I say this because a lot of the plaintiff attorneys are real scumbags and just want a portion of the settlement. If you are too forward they may see you as an attorney standing in front of a green screen of an office saying, "Come on down, free mattress with every consultation!!!" That could just be me though.

$Bill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2008, 07:37:12 AM »
For reals this time:
 I would write about Elder law. However, I would not come out "guns a' blazin'" in the essay. I would just say how some circumstance with old people led you towards the law.  I say this because a lot of the plaintiff attorneys are real scumbags and just want a portion of the settlement. If you are too forward they may see you as an attorney standing in front of a green screen of an office saying, "Come on down, free mattress with every consultation!!!" That could just be me though.

So you wouldnt point out that the upsurge in retiring babyboomers should be looked at as a business opportunity?

dsetterl

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2008, 07:41:11 AM »
No not at all. I don't think it is ethically responsible to look at people as a business opportunity in any shape, form, or fashion. Treat people as ends in themselves not as means to an end. I like the advocacy part, and hope you believe in it. However, the nursing home field is really messy. I work on document production on cases like this and it is a huuuuuge mess.

dsetterl

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2008, 07:45:57 AM »
You could say "There are more people that need representation than ever." Something to that effect. This thread has became so silly I can't tell if you are kidding are not? haha :)

$Bill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2008, 08:10:09 AM »
No, I get not to make old people look like a resource to exploit.  That said I'm nervous about following the unpleasantries I've experienced up in a PS because frankly, alot of it has a big grossout factor (neglect etc) which I'd like to avoid.  Also, it stinks of "plan to save the world" and an overly idealistic world view, which is one of Anna Ivey and Deloggio's big No-Nos.

dsetterl

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2008, 08:18:57 AM »
Its not wrong to be idealistic. I get the difference between living in a fantasy world but do not be afraid to be idealistic because somebody told you not to be in a book. I do not think that you will gross them out either. What sorts of things do you think attorney's deal with? It's not the nurses stealing their jewelery; it's the heinous neglect. I think the more real you could make it, the better they could understand your world view. Personal statements are a weird thing, amigo, and I was super paranoid about mine. I did a big no-no and opened mine up with the quote you see as my signature, but it was all okay.